Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Cranwell

Default Re: Cranwell

From an email received from ARG Member Jim Squires relating to an Article published in the last Airfield Review (AR134) on Fort Towers.

I note that in the article by Paul Francis & Stephen Legg Cranwell is listed as having either a 1959-60/34 or 207/36 Watch Tower but I do not think that this is the case. The Control Tower I am attaching a picture of became operational on 6 Dec 1936 and was replaced by the current Control Tower in 1955.

Excellent photos John, wish I could have gone but I was working as always! I've seen the cub around before, there must be a link to Goxhill but I'm not sure what it is.

SuperMod

Its a L-21A. The owner lives in Louth and I believe it is based at Strubby.

I'm currently writing a piece about the E.28/39's first flight from Cranwell and all the accounts I have read make reference to Cranwell's runway, but according to Ken Delve's book, the runways were not laid until 1954. Does anyone know for certain when the runways were laid here?

Also, to follow-up earlier comments on this thread, Cranwell was used for V-Bomber dispersal as regular exercises were held that involved the V-Force flying out to its designated dispersal fields for short stays. A few photos can be found that show aircraft at bases such as Brawdy, St.Mawgan and Elvington but I suppose it's not surprising that few pictures were taken to record these deployments. As for the chat about "Medium" Bombers, this is really just a question of semantics. It was accepted practise to refer to the V-Bombers as Medium, even though they were in effect Strategic bombers. The distinction between them and the Canberra was that the Canberra was assigned to tactical targets, chiefly those that were part of a land battle and probably identified by the Army. By contrast, the V-Force was Strategic, being tasked with the destruction of fixed pre-arranged targets that were already assigned. I guess "Medium" term was simply a symptom of WWII terminology that was never properly updated. On the other hand it's worth remembering that the V-Bombers were actually not as big and heavy as people imagine. They were in effect in the same sort of class as a modern Airbus A320. The really confusing issue was that the Buccaneer was then described as a "Strike Aircraft" which actually meant it was a tactical nuclear bomber. The same applied to TSR2 even though the RAF proposed to use it to attack strategic targets. It's a confusing business, because no fixed terminology was ever adhered to.

Default Cranwell hangars

The 1942 hangar status for Cranwell was:
    4 Bellman
    2 C
    7 A

In 1944 was:
    4 Bellman
    2 C
    7 F
    5 Blister

The 1955 status was:
    3 Bellman, 180 x 90 x 22
    2 C, 300 x 150 x 34
    7 E (old type), 200 x 80 x 28
    2 E (old type), 180 x 60 x 16
    1 E (old type), 184 x 63 x 21

Apart from the inconsistencies, anyone know which were north site?

Also 'E' hangars ??

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Also 'E' hangars ??

The only 'E' Hangar that I know of is the Type E Aircraft Storage Shed such as those at Hullavington, Kemble and others.

The shed illustrated under build in 'Works' Pages 290 onward.

'E' looks like a typo for 'F' in at least one case. I suspect the bulk of the early types would have been on the north side.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Ah, that makes sense!

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information