Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gatwick

Default Gatwick

Are the old hangars still there?

Last time I went to Gatwick on a non-holiday visit it was easier to get close to the runway. I got a haircut from a Britannia and my one and only sighting of a Spanish built Heinkel He-111 in the air. Must have been early seventies.

Peter

Default Re: Gatwick

Yes PNK, the pair of pre-war hangars were still there a couple of months back but I was unable to get a decent pic due to construction work nearby.....here is the only view I took of them

And here too is another view of the currently empty and disused Beehive (vacant since the takeover of GB Airways by Easyjet?) - I hope someone occupies it again soon. Note the remains of the steel runners that once supported extending covered pasenger walkways to the aeroplanes - forerunners of the modern airport terminal piers.

The old hangar in 1975. Taken from a moving car!

Default Gatwick

Taken 5th October 2003

On the BBC website today;
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8317662.stm

BAA agrees Gatwick airport sale

BAA has agreed to sell Gatwick, the UK's second busiest airport, to Global Infrastructure Partners (GIP) for a fee of 1.51bn.

BAA said the proceeds of the sale would be used mainly to repay part of its debt, which stood at 9.6bn in June.

Investment fund GIP already owns a 75% stake in London City Airport.

BAA was ordered to sell Gatwick after an inquiry found that customers were suffering from a lack of competition between airports.

It has also been ordered to sell Stansted and one of Glasgow or Edinburgh, but is appealing against the decision.

'Welcome progress'

"BAA is changing and today's announcement marks a new beginning for both Gatwick and BAA," said Colin Matthews, BAA chief executive.

"We wish Gatwick well for the future and are confident that the airport will flourish under new ownership."

He added that BAA would now focus on improving Heathrow and its other airports.

The sale of Gatwick, which is subject to approval by the European Union, is due to be completed in December, BAA said.

Shadow transport secretary Theresa Villiers said: "We have long been calling for the break up of BAA's monopoly over so much airport capacity in the south east, so we welcome progress in taking that forward.

"However, it is vital that the new owners strive to improve the service customers receive and also work with local communities to minimise the airport's environmental impact."

Greater competition

Commentators said the deal could lead to better services at the airport.

"It should bring huge improvements for passengers, at least this is what the airlines have been arguing," Simon Calder, travel editor of the Independent, told the BBC.

"There is ferocious competition between airlines, but very little between airports," he added.

"At the moment, there is very little incentive to get passengers to switch between Heathrow and Gatwick. [Following the sale], we will ultimately have proper competition between airports."

Mr Calder also said that GIP could look at increasing capacity at Gatwick.

"It is now possible that the new owners will invest in a runway that can legally open at any time from 2019 if the planning process goes through."

Gatwick has two runways, but they cannot be used at the same time, Mr Calder said.

Conflict of interest

This week, BAA began an appeal against the order to sell three of the seven UK airports it runs within two years.

It also owns Aberdeen and Southampton airports.

The airport operator believes the Competition Commission ruling was compromised because of a link between a member of the ruling panel and an organisation interested in buying the airports.

BAA also argues that the commission did not properly take into account the impact that the recession would have on the airports' sales.

At the start of this year, BAA said its annual profits had fallen by 18.4% after the economic downturn dented passenger numbers.

It reported a profit of 582m before tax and interest, down from 713m in 2007, as the number of travellers going through its UK airports fell by 2.7%.

BAA was bought by Spain's Ferrovial for more than 10bn in 2006.

Competition between airports? Like customers have a choice? Rather like privatisation of the railways was supposed to give more choice. If your flight leaves from Gatwick how can I choose Heathrow?

Actually I realise the choice is at airline level but the news doesn't always give that impression. As far as the real customers go I suspect there will be no difference.

Bring GA back to Gatwick maybe? 25-00 for a lock up seems very reasonable.

1939 Ad
    Cheers Dave

Default Gatwick Terminal

I'm being given a tour around the art deco 'Beehive' original terminal at Gatwick next week, any particular photographs anyone is after? Hoping to get access to the tunnel which lead to the original railway station too. Also, are there any other historic buildings nearby? I did hear there was an original hangar near the Beehive too

Dave, that's a great advert, do you have a higher quality copy of it? As well as many other things, I also run a blog about art deco in the UK, mainly with an aviation/car focus - off to Gatwick next week for a look around the original terminal

http://art-deco-uk..........com/

Default Re: Gatwick Terminal

Quote Originally Posted by electraflying View Post
    I'm being given a tour around the art deco 'Beehive' original terminal at Gatwick next week, any particular photographs anyone is after? Hoping to get access to the tunnel which lead to the original railway station too. Also, are there any other historic buildings nearby? I did hear there was an original hangar near the Beehive too
    I used to work for Cityflyer Express who were based in the old Iain Stewart Centre, now part of this modern new development adjacent to the Beehive. There was a Hangar there when I worked at Cityflyer Express (1998 to 2000) and we had offices in there (as well as our collections of green portakabins), the main part of the Hangar, including most of the offices were used by GB Airlines who then relocated into the Beehive Terminal building in about 2001/02 time. I don't know if the Hangar is still there now. I'd love to see some photos of the inside of the beehive as I never went in there.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information