Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gatwick

Default Re: Gatwick Terminal

It's changed a little bit since then. Mainly more of a nightmare to use and park at.

Default Re: Gatwick

Yes, you used to be able to go there for a visit. The tops of the 'fingers' were 'viewing areas', two bob (10p) to get in. I've got a quantity of 35mm slides lurking in the loft! There was even a restaurant where you could enjoy late night views of the apron! I used to clean aircraft interiors as a student summer job in the late 60's. It was never the same after the PLA hijacked some planes.....I later did a spell with the BAA in the 70's, before returning once again to work with a car rental co. in the late 80's. I left there in '94, and it's changed since then!

Left is the fire trainer but what is the right one? I noticed it last month as we were taxying in.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=51.149407...05252&t=h&z=18

its the old HP Herald, used to be on the roof of the terminal if I remember right. I thought it would have been scrapped by now!!

From what i could (albeit briefly) make out it looked reasonable. Someone on here must have some current pictures of it.

When I was a wee nipper, the firemen at Gatwick had a Viking with which to play. Wrecks & Relics (3rd ed.) says that it was G-AJFT but my old note book claims that it was G-AHPE. Does anyone know?

On passing LGW today the old hangars on the south side (see page one of this thread) looked to be in the process of demolition? There are the ones south of the perimeter road but east of the Beehive, backing onto the railway. There was little left standing except one wall. Any ideas of their history? I assumed they were WW2 or early post war and got marooned when new gatwick was built.

Can anyone help with the info sought in a letter to the Airfield Research Group, reproduced below?

Could it be one of those airfield 'lighthouses' used on pre-war civil airfields?
    Forgotten the proper name, there is one preserved at Midland Air Museum.

Interesting to see the Fighter 'E' blast pen, lower left in last shot.
    Last edited by mawganmad; 16-11-2012 at 21:49.

I took a couple of pics of the Herald G-CEXP on the way out of Gatwick in May 2010gatwick 77 herald 210510.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information