Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deanland

Default Re: Deanland

We have a copy of the original Air Ministry plan, labelling all the buildings/features etc. I'll happily copy it for you. What format works best for you? Hard copy or email?

Hi Nathan, a hard copy would be great if at all posible. I'll PM you with my email. Thank you.

I have quite a few grainy photos of the Spits that were based at Deanland during its very active days of 1944 and the build up to D-Day. I'll try posting them here but as I'm new to this, it might take a while!Groundcrew with Fordson.JPG234 Sqd Spit Vb AA936.JPGRay Stebbings.JPGMay - Halloran.JPGFlt Sgt Stan Farmiloe.JPG

This is a 64 Sqdn Spit in one of Deanland's blister hangers, 1944
    Attached Images Attached Images

Two pictures of John Harder (64 Sqdn) outside his tent and in his Spit on the Deanland taxi way

Pictures from Deanland 26th September 1944 - a visit from HRH Princess Julianna of the Netherlands to 322 (Dutch) Sqdn. Note the tented accomodation and Mess tents. The building pictured is Broomhams Farm we think, which was the Officers Mess. Incidently, Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands also visited this Squadron while it was based at Deanland, flying himself in to the airfield in his own Spitfire - except he burst a tyre on landing!

On September 6th 1943, the year before Deanland started receiving its Spitfire squadrons, a large number of B.17's from the USAAF 303rd BG made an emergency landing at Deanland on their return from a raid over Stuttgart.
    B-17F #42-29944 Winning Run CR-L piloted by Lt Jacob James crash landed - see pics. Mr. Frank Scherschel, a war correspondent for Life
    magazine, was a passenger on the aircraft.
    Last edited by Nathan; 20-04-2011 at 11:09.

Excellent Nathan, nice to see some bits relating to Deanland. It used to be a local airfield to me when I lived in Sussex, I only ever flew over it even though I had friends in Ripe who I visited often!

There will be an exhibition of plans/photographs and memorabilia regarding Deanland ALG and its Spitfire Squadrons held on Wednesday 8th June 2011 at Laughton Village Hall (11am-5pm). Free entrance!

american bar.JPGDSCF7957.JPGDSCF7959.JPGsummerfield.JPG
    Some pictures from the exhibition...
    Sections of American bar and rod tracking, and summerfield (sommerfeld?) tracking. The water tank still bears the paint "Airmans ablution block"
    Last edited by Nathan; 25-07-2011 at 13:57.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information