Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hixon

Default Hixon

From June 1997. I'm sure I have some more of these somewhere, covering the dispersed sites, but they have yet to surface.

Last edited by Richard Flagg; 20-07-2009 at 17:45.

Default Re: HIXON pics

Nice shots - I have recently seen a pic from when an OTU was based there, and I am desperatly trying to work firstly, if it is Hixon (I strongly think it is) and secondly where exactly the pic was taken.

I will upload it later on tonight

Steve

What are the elongated "dumbell" things on the NE/SW runway?

Some of the runways are (were?) used by the local traffic plod for driver training - anything to do with that?

Chris

If it has Wellington BT-Z, BK347, being refuelled, then I think the black T-2 with trees around it is your best bet.

Yes I think that is the pic I'm referring to. I had suspected that was the location and angle, and it had been taken from the top of the watch tower, or the building next to it.

Steve

The photo in question is featured on the rear dust jacket (and inside) of "Action Stations 3: Military Airfields of Wales and the North West" (1st edition, 1981) by Dave Smith. It features elsewhere too but for the moment, it eludes me. Quite a well-known photo I think.

Chris
    Last edited by Richard Flagg; 20-07-2009 at 17:46.

I saw it in 'Dark Peak Aircraft Wrecks' Vol 2 by Ron Collier, c/o the RAF museum I think?

Fantastic books btw, and ironically the a/c picture (BK347) later came to rest on high ground in the Yorkshire area, with a story fit for Ron Colliers books.

Quote Originally Posted by wcfcfan
    I saw it in 'Dark Peak Aircraft Wrecks' Vol 2 by Ron Collier, c/o the RAF museum I think?

Fantastic books btw, and ironically the a/c picture (BK347) later came to rest on high ground in the Yorkshire area, with a story fit for Ron Colliers books.
    The Dark Peak Wrecks was the other place I saw that photo - thanks for reminding me. The phot in that book is clearer than the one on the back (and inside) "Action Stations". It shows the T2 (viewed end on) to be camouflaged in three colours, which I'd never noticed (or looked for) previously.

BK247 did indeed hit a hill in Yorkshire - Whernside to be exact. The Lancashire Aircraft Investigation Teams web site has details here and Paul Allonby has some info photos of the site in recent years here.

Anyone know if there's a memorial to the crew anywhere?

Chris

If you don't know the picture refered to, here it is. Photos of OTU aircraft in general circulation are rare, and it's a gudgeon.

That is the exact one!

Steve

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information