Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hixon

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: HIXON pics

I'm not sure if this will help your needs but, if you go here:

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html

Type HIXON in the Search box. Locate the airfield in the main map (you can zoom in and out using middle mouse wheel). Left click on the centre of the area that you want.

Now look at the right hand column and scroll through the maps until you come to 1971-1972 1:2500 map and CLICK on it. Let the map load in the Main box then you can click once on it to enlarge or select enhanced zoom on the bottom slider.

DORIS (RAFM) supposedly has these RSPs: Hixon 713/45 (d), 712/45. The suffix (d) indicates 'Dispersed Site' which is not what you want, the other??

Thanks... Unfortunately the post WW2 maps all show the site as being "Industrial Estate", which implies that the work to replace the technical site has already started. It does help slightly with the road layout, though, I think, although very few buildings are shown as present. Still a useful resource, though, which I wasn't aware of before.

This one may have to be "representative" again for the moment, with some vaguely appropriate buildings around in incorrect places. I really need to get myself into a fit state to be able to go down and do a proper research trip to the RAFM Hendon at some point.

Thanks again.

Ian P.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

You can e-mail DORIS and ask if they have a Record Site Plan which covers the site that you want. Look for their contact on the RAFM website. Alternatively you can ring them.

I've done both in the past.

By saying that I really need to go down there for a research trip, I meant trying to do it all in one go, rather than in dribs and drabs like I am trying to find information on other airfields.

Cheers,

Ian P.

Default Re: Hixon

If anyone's interested, the No.30 OTU ORB has a map appended in the front of the volume. I photographed while at the NA some time ago, it isn't a brilliant copy but is still usable as a reference. The id in the bottom left is 3699/41.

Some photos of Hixon taken in May 2012.

and those Hercs...

Last edited by Sparky67; 03-05-2012 at 23:50.

tigger

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Clark View Post
    If anyone's interested, the No.30 OTU ORB has a map appended in the front of the volume. I photographed while at the NA some time ago, it isn't a brilliant copy but is still usable as a reference. The id in the bottom left is 3699/41.
    Also 712/45 and 713/45

Hi Sparky wow!! what exollent photes you have managed to take .Are the the fusalages all Hercules ? .
    It was two years agoe when i last paid a visit to Hixon & drove down the runways .
    Regards ,
    Bomber .

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
    Are the the fusalages all Hercules ?
    Yes indeed Bomber - all C3's and reported elsewhere as XV197, XV217, XV220 and XV305

A few more photos taken at Hixon, on the ground this time, during a mammoth (for me at least...) 12.5 mile walk in September 2012

Village sign

Buildings to left of main entrance.

The watch office, now Hixon Estate Management offices

What looks like a picket post on the NW corner of the airfield, now used as a stable.

Looking SE along the NW/SE runway

Looking W along the E/W runway. This was covered in animal pens (Sep 12) as far as the intersection and out-of-bounds.

Last edited by Sparky67; 11-11-2013 at 14:12.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information