Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Croughton

Default Croughton

RAF Croughton: Signals Square

I've just noticed in both Live Maps and Google Earth that not only does the signals square at Croughton still exist, but whoever is in charge of it either has a sense of humour or a sense of history.

The wind T is set, and the other markers indicate "Gliding is underway", very appropriate for the former home of No. 1 Glider Training School.
    Someone really ought to repaint the "Do Not Land" marker in the corner of the square though...... just in case.

TTFN,
    PB

Default Moonshine Missions

When I was a lad....(yawn)...

I was interested in amateur radio (c.1960?). Somewhere on the shortwave band one could pick up a loud ghostly message at hourly? intervals which went on the lines of:
    "All Moonshine Aircraft, all Moonshine Aircraft this is Croughton, this is Croughton. Do not answer, do not answer, Break - Alpha Delta Kilo Seven Niner Four Four.
    I say again - All Moonshine Aircraft, all Moonshine Aircraft this is Croughton, this is Croughton. Do not answer, do not answer, Break - Alpha Delta Kilo Seven Niner Four Four. Croughton out."

Used to wonder who, or what Croughton was. Never did find out what it was all about - almost certainly something to do with SAC.

Something below on the subject from: http://www.merhabaturkey.com/1CAMMARATAAindex.html

There were two other missions we handled at airways. We made "fox" or one way voice broadcasts. SKY KING and MOONSHINE. SKY KING was a code name for the SAC B-52 airborne nuclear deterrent force. We never knew in advance when we would make a broadcast until the crypto man would alert us about an hour before the scheduled time and give us the coded phrase and exact transmit time. It went something like this: "SKY KING, SKY KING this is Incirlik this is Incirlik. Do not answer, do not answer break Romeo November Juliett break authentication is x-Ray Sierra." We repeated the message one more time followed by the phrase "Incirlik out." Other Airways stations also made random Sky King and Moonshine broadcasts. The Moonshine coded messages were similar except that we used the phrase "All Moonshine Aircraft". I never did find out what Moonshine missions were.

I too can't find out what Moonshine missions were - somebody out there must know

Graham

Default Re: Croughton

RAF Croughton gate guards - 25 June 2010

Republic F-105G Thundercheif (62-4428)

North American F-100D Super Sabre (54-2212)

I guess with the F105 gone from Duxford, this must be the only example in the UK now?

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

These Fighter Pens are amongst the best preserved that I have seen:

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepat...z=17&oz=7&gt=1

from 1980's from the DOD image site
    Last edited by kebecker; 06-01-2011 at 00:12.

I spent two years working in the building with the pitched roof to the left of the antenna. That was Croughton Airways (77 -79)

RAF Croughton Back Gate (1974) by Ray Pipitone / RAF UH fb group.

Does anyone know where the bomb stores were located at Croiughton?

SW side of the airfield it would appear. Already fairly well cleared in the "1945" GE coverage:
    http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepat...z=17&oz=8&gt=1

All the best,
    PB

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information