Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: East Moor

Default East Moor

re - RAF East Moor

Dear all,

Firstly, well done on this great web site, it is an excellent source of information and historical interest on various airfields around the UK.

Still in my 20ís I am only a young one, but very interested in the history of Airfields & WW1 & WW2 in and around Yorkshire, York especially.

The main reason of this post is to see if anyone has any further information, pictures or history on RAF East Moor. I have lived locally to this airfield for many years and have visited it many times. I visited this airfield in the 1980ís early 90ís and recall entering a brick building in the middle of the site (control tower???) and also walking round all the now removed peri tracks / runways.

If anyone has any more info besides the great photos already on the internet or any information on if there was a battle HQ, this would be great.

Kind regards

Jon

Default Re: re - RAF East Moor

Hi Jon, Chris & Paul

I've been researching East Moor for a couple of years now and have quite a bit of info, albeit uncollated at present!

I've watched the place rapidly return to agriculture with sadness but there are still plenty of interesting remnants to view.

The building in the centre of the airfield was most certainly the Watch Office. I've been after photos of the building for ages now and as far as I can tell it was demolished around 1986 after I started my research. I have however found three published references that you may find of use that show the building. These are 'From Hull, Hell & Halifax' by Chris Blanchett ISBN 0904597814 page 207. 'Failed To Return' by Bill Norman ISBN 0850524741 page 147. 'The Military Airfields Of Great Britain - Northern England' by Ken Delve ISBN 1861268092 page 11.

As far as I can tell from these the Watch Office was a Bomber Satellite Type B to AM Drawing No. 13079/41 with Phase 2 modifications and local adjustments.

The plans I got from RAF Hendon are incomplete and only show later airfield construction, though the Watch Office is shown, no building plan info is contained on these, however the plans confirm the shape and surrounding buildings.

There was no Battle Headquarters shown on the plans, but the Operations Block still exists. There is also a very nice example of a local design Defence Position which I hope does not attract the same fate as many of the other buildings!

I'm drawing the plans onto Google Earth at the moment and will send you the link if you like, it will help with your walks around the sites.
    I'm also hoping to publish a report of some sorts soon which will not only contain the site history but also the unit history. I'm researching one particular aircraft and crew at the moment, that of Lancaster B11 DS830 'Bobby Boy' & PO T Spinks DFC of 432 Sqn RCAF that were based at East Moor.

I have loads of photos of the airfield from the past couple of years, if you like I can send you copies. I've yet to work out how to get them on the web. I'd recommend in the meantime going to Chris's site which has some great pics's on there of East Moor.

I would also be interested in any pic's or info you might have and especially to Paul, I would be very interested in seeing his photos of East Moor from the 1980's as it may help to further unlock the mysteries of the Watch Office and other buildings that have long since gone.

In the meantime you may like to pick up Brian Shields book 'The East Moor Experience' ISBN 1900604019. I know this is available at the Yorkshire Air Museum at Elvington. Its an interesting book that takes the form of a diary account of the airfield from 1942 - 1946. There is a lot of info in it and well worth the £15.

Hope this has been of help and I look forward to seeing those pictures or hearing anything else about this airfield.

Cheers
    Iain

Iain

I published some brief guidelines to posting photos here;
    http://airfieldinformationexchange.f...ng-t28.html#28

Hope this is of help

Here's a photo of the Defence Position at East Moor
    If anyone can shed any light on its design? I've searched all the Pill Box websites and found nothing similar. Maybe its unique?

Here is the part of the project I'm doing - this is an overlay of the Technical Site at East Moor, unfinished at the moment. Will update later with labels, but should be of interest for now.
    Cheers
    Iain

I believe that there is another of these defence postions at RAF Dishforth but that these are the only two in existence.

Very interesting about the RAF Dishforth match. I went on the Defence of Britain site to obtain the grid reference. Thanks Mike, I will visit it shortly to compare. Also on the site it states a location nearby of an Allan Williams Turret. Remembering my last visit to East Moor has jogged my memory of a suspicious hole nearby the position. Could be!

If these were the only two in to exist in the UK, there's surely a case for a preservation order here. I think I'm going to try and find out more.

Yes it was Google Earth I did the overlay on and thanks for the comments.

Have you found your perfect match yet Paul? (He, He).

Seagull Trench it is then, though all the others I've seen are a lot larger and longer. Maybe if these two (East Moor & Dishforth) are the only two of this design we could come up with a suitable name for them? That will start a good competition I'm sure!

Why were they called Seagull Trenches anyway?

I've posted another side view for clarification and also a mystery building located at East Moor that has had me baffled for a good while now. It is located directly adjacent to the Operations Block. Can anyone identify its type and use?

Thanks again and Jon, I've just driven past East Moor tonight. I'm doing a quick walk round on Sunday. All the leaves are down now and its the best time to find those hidden buildings in the low winter light, though snow is forecast I must be mad!
    Last edited by NJR; 16-11-2012 at 22:14.

Having looked at your other pics, it does appear to be a sort of seagull trench, though it is not shaped like one. There are other versions of these, two at Bicester for example which are scheduled ancient monuments, but that is because they are both part of a defended locality consisting of a raised area of ground with a trench, back to back and a FC construction pillbox on either side.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    Very interesting about the RAF Dishforth match. I went on the Defence of Britain site to obtain the grid reference. Thanks Mike, I will visit it shortly to compare. Also on the site it states a location nearby of an Allan Williams Turret. Remembering my last visit to East Moor has jogged my memory of a suspicious hole nearby the position. Could be!
    About visiting the location listed on the DoB database (SE 3725 7155 ). On GE and on Live Maps there is nothing obvious at this or the Allan Williams turret location. There is something 195m further north west along the track from the marked location on GE that looks like a pillbox but on Live maps it isn't so obvious? The site visit that this entry is based on was done in 1997. It could easily have vanished in in the last eleven years.

I have found another grid reference listed for the RAF Dishforth pillbox. It is SE 388 706. There is nothing obvious on GE or Live Maps at this location either!

Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    Why were they called Seagull Trenches anyway?
    They are called seagull trenches becasue some are a flattened W shape which when viewed from above looks like a kids seagull picture.

Hi Jon,
    Had a blustery, chilly walk on Sunday! Cleared the cobwebs out though. I have put a map on for you for when you go in three weeks time, hope its of use.
    Access to the airfield is unrestricted, though vehicles are discouraged. So long as you keep to the tracks and respect the farmers crops and use your common sense, I have never had any problems. You will see the odd dog walker and runner. There are pig sheds located on the runways and one to watch out for is the fence on the eastern peri track near the pig huts. This is electrified and not very well sign posted as I found to my embarrassment one day! Cheers for now, Iain

Image produced from the Ordnance Survey Get-a-map service. Image reproduced with kind permission of Ordnance Survey and Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information