Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Airfield 1/72 scale modelling

Default Airfield 1/72 scale modelling

This is a 1/72 scale type B fighter pen that i built some years ago, then abandoned as its so blinking big, but now might re-instate on my new train set layout (yes train set - do you have a problem with that?)

Default Re: Airfield 1/72 scale modelling

Erm, I have one too, well I prefer "model railway" but in my case everything is in boxes no layout and they haven't been touched for years.
    Coming back to the model of the pen it always surprises me how big scale models are (I know that sounds daft). What is it made from?
    I used to use Kappa Board, secondhand from the marketing dept where I used to work.

I like making things and get the bug every few years. Still got a cupboard full of unmade 1/35 scale tanks and assualt vehicles. As the eyesight is getting worse the detail work becomes harder and the scale goes up. 1:1 soon!

I've just spent the afternoon with Dad on our train set - finally get the track the way we want it, all working fine and the one of the points buggers up, guess which one? Yep, the one at the back and the trickiest one to get at!!! Bloodly electric point motors!!

OO or EM?

I'm jealous, I used to have a enormous 00 model railway about 12years ago (not train set, a train set is a childs toy!! LOL), but don't have the space these days to build a new one although I'd like to, everytime I pick up model railway magazine in WHS, It makes me want to dig out my models, track etc.

I use to enjoy wire the thing up rather than building the models. I used the stylus from a Rolf Harris stylophone (which I still have) to change the points/signals, with 2 small bolts as the other contacts one for each side of the point. These where all put into a 1/4inch piece of ply with the layout drawn on it (London underground style). It had some 40 point motors, 4 tracks, a fiddle yards, 2 LNER type stations one a terminus. It was about (if memory serves) 20' by 10'. All my models where scratch made from serial boxes covered in brick paper with the occasional purchased plastic kit. Those where the days.

I say 20' x 10' it wasn't a 20'x10' solid area, it did have the centre free to walk about in, it was a permanent fixture in the loft.

Ours is OO gaugue but not as big as Stevo's! We are working in a space of about 10 x 5 ft, three loops and a very small space in the centre to stand in, I only just fit!

Currently mine is 17ft long and about two feet wide, its in my cellar but the damn thing is in the way of my books etc and I can hardly move down there - so its got to go. However I have just bought a 3,5 by 2,5 cabin that I will build in the garden. I will build another layout in there around the four walls. I have already begun to dismantal it but I spend far too long on AiX to make an impact yet.

All my stuff is scratch built, out of various types of scrap plastic from a factory. The fighter pen is made from thick card, on a plastic card base (which has now warped). I have various types of pillboxes and a permanent bofors gun emplacement (all made from plastic card and or plywood). No airfield buildings yet, but I am also going to build part of an ordnance factory on the new layout plus the railway buildings such as the signal box will be c.1939 based on concrete hardened designs built to resist near-miss bomb blast. In fact all my stations etc will be (one partly built) are based on concrete 1930s designs - not a brick in sight!

...not a brick in sight!

Not surprised if everything is scratch built. Just painting brickwork is bad enough. I visited the Pendon Museum with the wife back it 1980's and realised my skill's needed to be improved. They didn't so things started to drift and fade. Built a couple of engines from kits but the chassis would always bind and the pickups would never work consistantly. Hence a loft and cupboard full of all the bits to make a layout. When I retire though!

Last edited by Able Mabel; 20-01-2010 at 00:10.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information