Page 20 of 76 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast

Thread: West Malling

Default Re: West Malling

The Officers Mess looks great

I am in contact with a member of the Borough Council staff, and hope to get access to the interior, and to post some photos up here.

The observation/Bofors tower is next, still in great condition, but even at this time of year, the blackberry bushes are encroaching, and I got scratched up pretty bad, even the dog yelped a couple of times.

Cheers,
    Effortless.

These are pictures of the battle control bunker in the middle of the golf course, taken in January 2007.

This can be a bit tricky to find, but as before, if anyone needs help finding it, please PM me!!

Cheers,
    Effortless.
    Last edited by tigger; 14-06-2012 at 09:34. Reason: removed inappropriate images

This is a link to Liberty's plans for the control tower and development of the central area.

http://www.kings-hill.com/shops-amen...area-expansion

Plans for the control tower can be seen here

http://www.kings-hill.com/documents/...-Site_Plan.pdf

Some of the planned artwork can be seen here

http://www.kings-hill.com/documents/...alStrategy.pdf

Cheers,
    Effortless.
    Last edited by Effortless; 15-03-2012 at 21:00. Reason: Additions

The plans for the Control Tower look really good - at least it looks as if it's going to be saved!

One small point; why a Spitfire 22 for the brass rubbing? - they were never based at WM!! The following would be much more representative of the aircraft based there:

Mosquito NF (wartime and post war)

Spitfire XIV (1944 top scoring V1 Spitfire squadrons based at WM)

It would be nice to feed this back to the developers - anyone know how I could do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter4456 View Post
    It would be nice to feed this back to the developers - anyone know how I could do this?
    Hi Peter,

I assume the best way to get in contact with the developers is via the Contact Us section on the developers website here...

http://www.kings-hill.com/

In my experience they seem very receptive to residents suggestions. I've been to a couple of meetings they have always been willing to listen. Good luck and make sure to post back here!!

Thanks for the comments re the dreaded "Elf 'n Safety" by the way.... that's me!!

Cheers,
    Effortless.

Hi all,

I've just been out and about on the airfield again with hound, camera, and this time, a GPS.

Co-ordinates are Ordnance Survey, to ten figures!! That should get you to the right blade of grass!! However, the GPS unit was reporting an accuracy of +/- 20ft.

Now added co-ordinates for the OSGB and WGS84 projections.

PH Fort

OS grid ref TQ 67942 55706
    OSGB36 5301′51.91″N 00159′48.15″E
    WGS84 5301′53.25″N 00159′41.24″E

Landing ight

OS grid ref TQ 67880 55648
    OSGB 5301′50.15″N 00159′44.66″E
    WGS84 5301′51.49″N 00159′37.74″E

Battle HQ

OS grid ref TQ 67699 54497
    OSGB 5301′13.32″N 00159′31.53″E
    WGS84 5301′14.65″N 00159′24.62″E

Hope this helps those of you who are having trouble finding these sites. If I can find a way to convert these reading to Lat/Long I will edit this post to include them. Might help those with Tom Tom / Garmin style sat navs.

Cheers,
    Effortless.
    Last edited by Effortless; 16-03-2012 at 19:39. Reason: Added OSGB36 and WGS84 co-ordinates

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Ground crew servicing a Supermarine Spitfire Mark XIV of No. 91 Squadron RAF at West Malling, Kent.

Courtesy of Imperial War Museum IWM (CH 18183)

Hi all,

the hydraulics look to be in reasonable condition.

Anyone fancy trying to get it elevated??!! Might be an interesting weekend project!! Any hydraulic / agricultural system engineers on here??

Cheers,
    Effortless.

On a slightly different note...

"West Malling opened its own public house in December 1940...called 'The Startled Saint'..A lot of history here with Guy Gibson drinking here on many an occassion! The landlady Mrs Alice Baker looked after 'her boys' here for 38 yrs!!! I believe the pub shut in the late 80s/early 90s and it would be great to find out what happened to Mrs Baker after....I bet she had some stories!!

This is how we find the pub today...yes you have guessed it...turned into housing!"

I knew Alice Baker by way of being a brewery service engineer in the 1970s/80s. She always told me the pub opened on the first day of th war, given that it wouldn't have opened on a sunday I take it to have been sept 4 1939. She still had a few engraved glasses that were from that time and if you were in her good books she would let you use one. I reckon she retired about 1977/8 and was pretty frail, and the pub ticked on for about another 10 years. Her brother ran the Rising Sun in East Malling

Pete668

Really interesting to get the update from the post I put on about the Startled Saint ( page 5 on here I think) ...Did she ever tell you any other tales? I wonder how long she lived for after she retired. Do you know? Im not sure if anyone on here frequented the pub in its last years but I had heard that there wasnt much of its former past on display and due to its location didnt do to much of a trade...sad really! The current housing now displays a copy of the pub sign on the ground floor which is a nice touch! I wonder what was in the loft when it shut down!!

Lee

Page 20 of 76 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast

Thread Information