Page 21 of 76 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast

Thread: West Malling

Default Re: West Malling

No she never mentioned anything, I don't remember any photos etc either. I think she died quite soon after leaving and have an idea she may have retired with a broken hip. In her latter years it was pretty much a dump, it was extended into a restaurant but never took off, in part I think due to the wrong type of clientele who resisted the change. I'm certain she was right about 1939 opening as there were a number of dummy cask heads on the backfitting through which the beer was dispensed (unusually gravity fed fronm a first floor cellar) and these were all 1938/9 dated and unused.

Pete,

Thanks for response. Quite sad really that places like that lose there 'history' with the changing times and client base! It was only about a year ago that the pub sign was fixed outside the building so maybe someone who lives there has an interest! The pub sign still stands tucked by the fence and trees.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by CDP View Post
    Sadly no but I know he wasn't there for long. He was posted to an MU overseas in 1943 (I think, need to check) and spent the rest of the War in the Med.

Nice tower shots. You sure it's from 1942? It looks to date from the 1930s but I'm very happy to be proven wrong on that! Good to hear that is Grade II listed though. That might give it some protection. Any idea why the planning apps have been turned down?

Chris
    Have just visited Kings Hill and saw the memorial about West Malling airfield. My father told me many years ago that he was stationed at West Malling when it was bombed in August 1940. He was with 26 Squadron on Lysanders and had just been bombed out of RAF Lymne.
    Fortunately the day of the bombing he was on leave in London, but some of his friends were killed. He told me this back in the 1960's so I wondered if anyone might have any further information about this time.

Doppler

There are a few good books out that will probably have everything you need....Moths to Merlins by Robin J Brooks and By day and by night by Peter Hall

Lee

Default West Malling DVD

I may be covering old ground here, but just thought anyone may like to know about a DVD that is available entitled West Malling 1956 which was filmed on super 8 by a pilot who was stationed at West Malling at the time. It contains some very interesting shots of meteors etc., in flight and taking off from West Malling. Just go to www.jmcvideo.co.uk to order a copy.

Hi all,

just a quick 'n dirty from my phone...

A start does seem to have been made!!

Cheers,
    Effortless.

See posts 155-157
    487.jpg488.jpg490.jpg

Dave.

Fantastic to see the pics with what you found in the orchard. Looks exactly the same kind of shelter the Rowan found on the perimeter ( where 85 Squadron were and used by the RAF regiment). So probably has a room to the left and the right...Looks very undisturbed and may have markings inside? Did you peek?

Lee

It looks like it has rooms left and right. I didn't have a look inside, although Effortless and I are planning to some time soon. It is very hard to find - in the 3rd pic you can see my sleeve holding the branches to one side. You could stand a few feet from it and not know it was there.

I did try to find the shelter that Rowan found, but without any joy. Is there an easy way to describe where it is so I might get lucky next time? I was looking in the woods north of the football pitches.

Went past the control tower yesterday. It's great to see them working on it at last. Something did occur to me though, it may be quite difficult to get a decent photo of it soon because it looks like they are cramming as many houses around it as they can. Let's hope it will still be possible to get a good view of it from somewhere.

Page 21 of 76 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast

Thread Information