Page 24 of 76 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast

Thread: West Malling

Default Re: West Malling

Hello I am researching the West Malling Kent Air Force base, where can I find the exact location of where the Ugandan Asians stayed in 1972. I have visited the area and have had several areas mentioned the Sports cottages or ME19 4TU Spitfire road. Can anyone verify. Thanks

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Welcome to AiX Jaimini

Ugandan Asians with British nationality/passports were housed in the then unused accommodation blocks (so called H - Blocks) at West Malling seen here:

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepat...z=17&oz=7&gt=1

Information on proposed future development..
    Last week developer Liberty Property held a public consultation day regarding proposed future development on Kings Hill. Plans include building approximately 600 new homes on the temporary football pitches. I didnít see any detailed plan (and nor have I managed to subsequently find anything on the internet) but the area in question encompasses the site of the Pickett Hamilton fort.
    http://www.kings-hill.com/kent-local-news/view/99
    Hopefully someone on this forum will be able to give more details regarding future plans

Malling..

Due to work I could not get to the meeting. id be surprised if they could cram 600 houses into that space..so assume its 600 on that and land elsewhere on the development. Regarding the PH Fort....Apparantly the item is 'preserved as an item of historical interest' but not sure if that means they can change their mind whenever they feel as if houses are being built there....Maybe an idea to speak to Liberty direct...or see what the actual plans entail?

Sad that greed takes over.....The control tower is being swallowed up the the surrounding 'building'!

Lee

Hi All

Spent many a weekend on West Malling with the air cadets back in the early 80's at the gliding school there. The airfield had a really great atmosphere and i spent a few summer evenings wandering about. They seem (and have largely achieved) the total eradication of this airfield. have got to admit i would not like to visit now as would be upset.
    Last edited by treadstone; 17-09-2012 at 19:27.

Hi Treadstone..

Must have been great if you were able to wander around the airfield back then! Can you remember any WW2 damage...markings from back then. You wouldnt recognise a lot of here now im afraid!

Lee

Hi Lee

edited post to say 80's rather than 70's. Do not remember any war damage but it was a bit after the war and the base was used for early jets. The concrete sided post war revetments were still there along with hangers and other wartime buildings. It is a shame that not much is left airfield side. I will try and avoid coming back as the place has many good memories including first glider solo.

treadstone

they were indeed multi-bed dormitorys. i slept in now block 50 and room 9 from their website. that was the room for ground signals and telephone operators.

Hi all,

just a quick progress photo of the control tower...

This was taken yesterday, Wed 3 October.

Cheers,
    Effortless.

Effortless...thanks for the pic. I must admit the 'building progress' is looking unsightly as though the original tower will be built around but having seen the 'artist impressions' the final look will be quite good.

For info I have emailed the parish council regarding Libertys plans to build another 1000 houses as part of 'phase 3' ...This proposed area looks likely to mean the Picket Hamilton and air raid shelter in that area will be the next to go. Liberty have said that the PH fort is an 'item of historical interest' and will stay but as its not listed maybe they dont care as usual. If you guys feel strongly like myself please e.mail the following person as they want to know our views ( basically they are going to build on the temporary football pitch area.

Views to...

Helen Munro - clerk@kingshillparish.gov.uk

Lee
    Last edited by tigger; 04-10-2012 at 23:48.

Page 24 of 76 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast

Thread Information