Page 25 of 76 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast

Thread: West Malling

Default Re: West Malling

Hi TC i noticed you use the 74 squadron badge, what is your connection with that if you dont mind me asking?
    thanks
    gazza

Hi Fellas, I have been reading the various posts in this thread with great interest, it is a shame that another famous Battle of Britain airfield is no more, at least the tower is being saved as a reminder of the airfield's illustious past. I had visited Gatwick on a particular day and I think the year was 1995, I had read in Flight magazine that Kent County Council had huge plans for the tranformation of West Malling airfield, with this in mind I decided to have a last look and pointed the my car east along the M25 in search of it, herewith the photos taken that day once I had found the place, I am very glad I made that journey and the chance to share with yourselves possibly its final year as an airfield.
    Regards, Gerry.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi ya just joined this site and have been reading all the info. I live near the Kingshill site and remember when the airfield was here. At the weekend I went exploring and found some of the sites which were great. I am on a mission and will be up there again soon to find the other sites. I am so interested in this. I also have some old pictures of the airfield before housing was started. I currently work on the Kingshill site in the H Blocks which is very interesting.

I have taken some recent pics which I will post. As mentioned there must be loads of sites still to be found. i am very local so if anyone is willing to try and find some more history I would love to come along and investigate.

Hi Louise....welcome to the site!

You must have some interesting stories if you work in Churchill Sq ( H blocks) Be great if you could put your pics on! Im local and always looking to find more remains ( dont think much more to find im afraid)

Lee

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Welcome to AiX louise007,

Do 'your' H Blocks retain the ablutions in the central 'spine' section? Ground and First floors?

Quote Originally Posted by PETERTHEEATER View Post
    Welcome to AiX louise007,

Do 'your' H Blocks retain the ablutions in the central 'spine' section? Ground and First floors?
    Hi ya PETERHEEATER

Yes the H block retain ground floor and first floor same layout on both floors.

Thanks to Lee and Bomber for your kind comments. Louise, am looking forward to yours, could you include an up to date pic of the control tower, for me it is a classic and pleasing design. I hope you enjoy this website as much as I have, and I continue to do so, wish I had discovered it long ago.
    Regards to all, Gerry.

Thanks louise, so offices are only in the 'wings'?

I will try and get some internal photos of the H block I am in no. 50 all are offices original stairwells.

I am curious to know if some of the blocks have underground shelters. There would be a single door off the ground floor spine corridor opposite the ablutions. It leads to a flight of stairs to the left (or right) and an underground refuge with an emergency escape tunnel.

Page 25 of 76 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast

Thread Information