Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Bodney

Default Re: Bodney

My Dad spent his National Service Basic Training at Bodney during the early 1050's, serving with the Pioneer Corps - 30 years later I spent a week in exactly the same hut as he was billeted in - I hated the first of day because of the smell from the industrial pig farm made the stay unbearable when down wind...

Was up there earlier this year. while using the compass we noticed that there was some magnetic interference While navigating on the area. this was put this down to the possible Pierced Steel Planking that must still be buried under the soil.

Default Re: Bodney

Quote Originally Posted by Kentish man View Post
    I hated the first of day because of the smell from the industrial pig farm made the stay unbearable when down wind...
    I suspect the WWII guys had the same problem when the Officers' Mess was upwind .

Graham

Default Re: Bodney pics 20 years ago

TCUNC76 :

Have not posted here is a while...great to see the post on Bodney. Its been a great honor to have meet so many of the real BlueNosers from The 352nd over my lifetime here in the states and twice I came to the UK in the late 80's early 90's to visit the airfield. Nice to see a few photos of the old control tower. I was hoping perhaps the veterans would organize & plan to save & restore the old control tower. But sadly the cost was to much. Some place for sure.......... have held a long time interest in the history of the 352nd & The role of the Eighth Air Force in Britain in WW II !
    Sadly so many of the men have passed on ! A great fighter group for sure that held up its name " SECOND TO NONE" in the ETO during the war! Hope my travels will take me back to the UK soon & Bodney !

Blue Skies to all here on the forum !
    TCUNC76

If anyone happens to travel by the old base...would love to see a new photo or two of the control tower...........The spirit of Maj George E Preddy Jr....THE MUSTANG ACE is still present & accounted for there! Much thanks !

TCUNC76!

Took these about three weeks ago of the Tower when we spent the day looking at what was once a great airfield..Hope they are ok. I have about 170 photos of Bodney take recently. TCUNC76 If you like a disc with them on please PM me .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by TCUNC76 View Post
    If anyone happens to travel by the old base...would love to see a new photo or two of the control tower...........The spirit of Maj George E Preddy Jr....THE MUSTANG ACE is still present & accounted for there! Much thanks !

TCUNC76!
    I visited last March, and had my sandwiches in the old 487th FS area!. From old photo's , you can see the approx area Preddy's aircraft were parked.

I notice that on the memorial there is not a mention of the 2 Group RAF Squadrons who operated out of there first from 1940-1943. They suffered horrendous losses with Blenheims and Bostons.

Default Bodney view of North Pickenham

Photo taken yesterday: the view of North Pickenham airfield (now a field of wind turbines) from the northwest corner of Bodney airfield's perimeter track; illustrates the close proximity of airfields in this part of the country.

DSC_5249.jpg

Hi Denis,
    There is an RAF memorial for 21 and 82 Squadrons at Watton -- as you're probably aware, Bodney was originally a satellite for Watton. The memorial at Bodney was, as far as I know, paid for by the American veterans and dedicated during a reunion trip to Bodney. There were Blenheims at Bodney, and for a very short time 90 Squadron Fortresses (B-17s) but I'm not sure about Bostons at Bodney??

Quote Originally Posted by Denis View Post
    I notice that on the memorial there is not a mention of the 2 Group RAF Squadrons who operated out of there first from 1940-1943. They suffered horrendous losses with Blenheims and Bostons.

Does any one know if there was a range and if so where.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread Information