Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Bodney

Default Re: Bodney pics 20 years ago

If you mean a bombing range there was mention of a range being built at Bodney in 1940 (AIR 2/5050), presumably on existing War Office land for speed of approval. I have no further record of Bodney as a range so I assume it was one of the many that didn't go ahead for whatever reason. I assume also that the range was at a different location to the airfield although it's entirely possible that the bombing range area became the airfield. No proof though.

Having mentioned War office land - when was Stanford set up?

I have been told that the BHQ has been bricked up, can anyone confirm this?
    Thanks Simon

I understand the gymnasium, squash court and a few other buildings have been knocked down recently, can anyone confirm this?

NO. 106 on the RSP: shooting in butt approximately here http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=52.56....3&r=0&src=msa

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

kebecker, Does the RSP show the Drawing Number?

The Norfolk E-Explorer 1946 coverage is cluttered and shows a couple of structures (Blister Hangars?) on the location of a single frying pan hard stand located at the end of a spur running south to north from the taxiway.

There were also a couple of separate spurs running at 45 degrees and the SIB may have been on the need of one of those.

I assume that there is no 25 yard MG Range shown on the RSP.
    Last edited by PETERTHEEATER; 04-04-2012 at 07:44.

Quote Originally Posted by PETERTHEEATER View Post
    kebecker, Does the RSP show the Drawing Number?

The Norfolk E-Explorer 1946 coverage is cluttered and shows a couple of structures (Blister Hangars?) on the location of a single frying pan hard stand located at the end of a spur running south to north from the taxiway.

There were also a couple of separate spurs running at 45 degrees and the SIB may have been on the need of one of those.

I assume that there is no 25 yard MG Range shown on the RSP.
    No drawing number, the plan would suggest a simple earth (or I suppose chalk etc) bank, and yes it is located at the head of one of the concrete spurs. I will get the tracing paper out at the weekend or see if I can master overlays on GE. Incidentaly the RSP I have is one of the ATB reproductions. I could not see a 25 yard range listed, but for all the lighting folks there are a number of totem poles indicated.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Thanks. With Bodney opening in in 1940 the SIB should have been a PB type but I suspect that it was not built until 1942 ish and then the semi circular earth bank type.

What a place!! I drive past it often, but never had the bottle to explore the tower. The posts on here instilled some confidence, so looking as rabid as Ben Gunn, I bit the bullet and headed for the tower. The weather was grim, which I don't mind really. It makes for some moody images if nothing else. I really want to get back there pronto though. The vibe there was just amazing!

Anyway, as I'm quite sure none of you have seen photos of the tower before [wry smirk], here is my record circa May 2012.

Last edited by Olly; 20-05-2012 at 18:22.

Very evocotive !! thats on my hit list for this summer .
    Regards ,
    Bomber .

Yes, I just heard it's true. Annoyed with myself (again) as I kept meaning to get over there and photograph them. Especially as I often visit family in Bodney.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Number View Post
    I understand the gymnasium, squash court and a few other buildings have been knocked down recently, can anyone confirm this?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread Information