Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eastchurch

Default Eastchurch

I came across this photo on the Life pictures site on Google.

http://images.google.com/hosted/life

The picture seems to be postwar, maybe 1950's but is it Eastchurch? The lack of background suggests it is on a hill.

Default Re: Eastchurch

Yes its Eastchurch

I'm not convinced it is Eastchurch, it's the same design but you should be able to see Stamford Hill behind, there are also other buildings around the Eastchurch Hangar. Have a look at the comparison aerial shot I took of Eastchurch's remaining WW1 hanger - I accept that it will have been reclad and the doors removed and boarded, but the background on the mystery picture doesn't look right. So I'll need more evidence to convince me, I hope it is as it would be a rare picture!
    Trikeman

Trikeman - I know what you mean. I had a similar thought but I could only come up with Eastchurch. The foreground appears to drop as well but it could be just a trick of the angle. Let's see if anyone has canything else to add.

HI

I used to Christmas at Greatstone, with my grandfather (who was asked to guard the first German aircraft shot down on British soil in Sept 39 - only to prise off the engine plates -now in Duxford archives) and listened to his stories of British aviation, especially his stories of Eastchurch whenever 'Those magnificent Men' was shown on TV. As an aircraft engineer he had researched the history of aircraft manufacture in Britain and was probably somewhat dismayed at his early retirement due to some Government rethink.

I am hoping to go to the Sky Sheppey Celebration of the centenary of British aviation in July 2009.

I am looking for the airfield site layout of Eastchurch as it was in 1940, it had probably not changed much over the years and some buildings do still remain. I have seen the buildings picture of what is was in those early pioneer years and want to know how much of that was still there in 1940 and the perimeter layout.

Does anyone have a good idea of what I may have looked like or a source that I could research further.

many thanks.

I have photographed everything at Eastchurch (and guess what PNK - the buildings are all still there!). There are a number of 1910 hangars (one complete row) and some of these may have come from Shellbeach. Most other buildings are RNAS types.

Macaw - RAF Museum, Hendon should have the site plans for Eastchurch.

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/coll ... /index.cfm

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by norwichpaul
    and guess what PNK - the buildings are all still there
    Ah you spotted that comment then!

This site may also be of interest http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/in...p?topic=2116.0
    I knew I had seen the name Trikeman somwhere before.

Default Re: ARG Visit to RAF Eastchurch / HMP Stanford Hill

The obligitory group photo from today!! Great to see everyone and it was a very enjoyable day.

L-R across top:Bigherb, Bucanneer66, jason, Canute, REF, PNK and Medwayboy, norwichpaul in the yellow jacket

If the chaps who went would like a copy of the photo, PM me your email and I will send it across
    Last edited by Richard Flagg; 07-11-2011 at 00:21.

Default Re: ARG Visit to RAF Eastchurch / HMP Stanford Hill

Posted some of my pics.. Hope it's ok here.... If not I can move them...

http://s762.photobucket.com/albums/x...view=slideshow

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information