Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eastchurch

Default Re: Eastchurch

Is the site generally accessible or is it within the prison grounds now?

cliveh

All with in the prison grounds, it was an arranged visit.

Thanks

cliveh

Here is a early image from Eastchurch, depicting a Voisin LA-5, 8521. c/o Krul, any idea off the date?

Regards Ian

Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Thanks

cliveh
    You can drive down the road leading to the prison as the people do who visit the prisoners, there still a lot of wartime buildings to be seen which have been converted to stores and maintenance buildings but no trace of any hangers you can even make out where the Sheppy Light Railway crossed the road leading to the prison the Railway closed in 1956 there was a halt at eastchurch and a siding for the Airfield.
    One of the Airfields later claim to fame was that the author of All Creatures Great and Small was stationed at Eastchurch during the WW2.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally Ho View Post
    You can drive down the road leading to the prison as the people do who visit the prisoners, there still a lot of wartime buildings to be seen which have been converted to stores and maintenance buildings but no trace of any hangers you can even make out where the Sheppy Light Railway crossed the road leading to the prison the Railway closed in 1956 there was a halt at eastchurch and a siding for the Airfield.
    One of the Airfields later claim to fame was that the author of All Creatures Great and Small was stationed at Eastchurch during the WW2.
    Please see this. Hope you like it, it took weeks of research and building to get it almost as it was during world war 2. Even built Hang the expense, the B17.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwuImJLNPH0

In the PDF mentioned in post #16 there is a copy of airfield plan 239/33 and in the middle of the landing field there is a ship type shape with a number in it. As this version is unreadable can anyone tell me what it is referred to in the index? I am assuming it is a bombing target but the aerial photos show it as a circle with a centre dot.

(Note the link mentioned is no longer valid)

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

The site www.pfr.co.uk is down for essential maintenance (it says).

Default Re: Eastchurch hangers

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kirk View Post
    Trikeman - I know what you mean. I had a similar thought but I could only come up with Eastchurch. The foreground appears to drop as well but it could be just a trick of the angle. Let's see if anyone has canything else to add.
    Perhaps I can help identify hanger mentioned at Peter Kirk #1 as I lived in Eastchurch Prison between ages 9 years to 21 starting in 1956 (Dad a prison officer and we lived initially in the tin huts adjacent to water tower on top of Stamford Hill, then various other houses in this prison). Now am 69

Played all round the prison estate as it was then, and most origional airfield buildings were still in place. Have personally been in the hanger you are questioning and it was one of five that ran along what is now Brabazon Road. Google Earth map with the 1960 historic timeline shows the hangers.

Eastchurch ariel 1.jpgAriel shot Eastchurch.jpgSteve & Ken on'Den'.jpg

You would not see Stamford Hill in the hanger pistures as the veiw is looking down rear of the hanger towards the feilds/marshes.

There is now a new prison block built over where the original hangers were.

The picture with two boys was myself and the son of prison farm manger on top of a 'den' we built on waste ground just behind a brick shed shed at the bottom of what is/was a road called 'Airfield Veiw' near it's junction with 'Wrights Way'. That brick built shed is still there (shows as last image in Medway Boy #10) as are the memories. Happy days!!

I'm not an histroic air field enthusiast, but came across the hanger image on a nostalgia trip, recognized it, and thought I could help.

Regards

Sunbury8
    Last edited by Sunbury8; 23-10-2014 at 19:34. Reason: Extra comment

Thanks for your memories. It must have been an amazing place to have grown up. We used to go on holiday to Leysdown in the late fifties, carrying on a tradition set by my grandparents who went there in the thirties. My dad remembers Eastchurch as a busy area for biplanes in those days, watching them shooting targets at Leysdown.

I assume the den was a "self build" as at a similar age I used to construct shelters to enable me to play outside even in the rain although in my case in a garden in south east London

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information