Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Funtington

Default Re: Funtington

When I used to live in the area there was always an "urban myth" that Funtington had an underground level, presumably related to the Qinetiq site. I remember one girl I knew who was adamant her uncle had many times been tasked to deliver equipment to the site and drove into a lift which then took him down into the underground level.......as I say probably "urban myth"

I know it is a bit late but I have only just come across this website and thread. As I am currently the Head of Site for the QinetiQ research establishment which now occupies the Funtington site I thought I would register and offer any help I can to you chaps. I am quite willing to host a pre-arranged visit, although there is not much to see, and impart whatever information I have. I am also personally interested in the history of the site so would very much like to see any more wartime photographs any of you may have. Regards, Peter

Hi Scoober
    Welcome to the forum.
    I work for QQ at BD,but live quite close to Funtington.
    Have PM'd you

rgds baz

AIR 20/7260 states that Funtington was handed over to the Admiralty on 12/02/1945, purpose unknown, but it explains the the kit on the airfield site in the postwar pic I posted some time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by tyffie View Post
    Just came across your site, very intereting. as regards Funtington, I have been researcing the airfield for 10 years and have been in contact with over 20 pilots that flew from there during ww2. as you say not much remains apart from some peri-track and concrete hanger bases that were never used. there is no memorial but I hope to erect one when time and money permit. if you ever wanted to come down and get some photos let me know and i would show you around.

regards
    G
    tyffie
    Hi Tyffie

Just started to look into the Airfield and heard something about the RCAF used to drink at the Fox and Hounds?? Have you heard anything on this???

Thanks Craig

Hi Craig
    I think the Fox was well used by the pilots and officers but the ground crew were much too busy, I have a letter from a 33 squadron pilots that says they drunk the pub dry on one occaision.
    regards
    G

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information