Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cranfield

SuperMod

Default Re: Cranfield

And here it is, taken in October 1981. The nose mod was for an experimental FLIR sensor.

Peter

Never knew Cranfield operated such a diverse range of types, we had the Jetstream from there in to Cranwell a few times doing tasks with the engineering officer trainees.

Took all these today, the paintings and aerial photographs are inside the Mitchell Hall. While there I was told that had I called there last week I could have seen a painting of R.J. Mitchell plus some other prints. These have now been moved to another department that needs permission to enter and may be refused. I'll try next week.

I remember (just) going to an airshow at Cranfield sometime in the '60s. I was probably only 7 or 8 years old then. The Bristol Fighter was flying there, also the experimental HP115 from RAE Bedford. I also remember going in the hangar and seeing the black and white painted V2.
    I also seem to remember going to a building around the back of the control tower where an engine was being run up. Can anyone confirm this or what year this might have been.
    I believe my father might have made an 8mm film of some of the show...I shall have to search my mother's house for it.
    A couple more shows were held in the '70s.
    I would be interested if anyone else remembers this.

Brian West.

Excellent pics airfieldsman, for some reason you hardly ever see anything published about the Cranfield site which is a shame given its importance in British post-war aviation.
    Is the whole sited given over to use by the university, and can visits be arranged?

Canberra, when you say they operated many types, they were mainly ground training airframes, but consisted of some very unique and important aircraft.

SuperMod

Below are a couple of photos showing that BrianW isn't going mad.

First off is the HP115, normally based at Thurleigh. I was wondering what it was doing at Cranfield and so you've answered that one.

Next is the Bristol Fighter. This was ( and is) owned by Shuttleworth and at the time of the photo (early 60s) was stored at Cranfield over the winter as the hangars were heated and therefore kinder to the airframe and fabric.

Hope they're of interest. The V2 was in Hangar 4 in what was called the 'Museum of Flight' - it's in the picture I put up in post #2.

The Cranfield site is all owned by the University although other companies (particularly on the airfield side) lease accommodation.

ARG members might have seen the article I did in Airfield Review #106 covering the history of the airfield - this gives a flavour for some of the many types that have operated or been worked on here over the years. If you like mawganmad I can send you a spreadsheet where I've tried to capture the various aircraft that have been here. Let me know.

Peter

Yes please any info on the place is welcome.
    Also appears to be a Sikorsky R-4 Hoverfly I in the above pic, I guess this is the one that is at Hendon now?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information