Thread: FELIXSTOWE - RAF Felixstowe memorial

Default FELIXSTOWE - RAF Felixstowe memorial

Memorial to RAF Felixstowe on the Town Hall
    Last edited by Richard Flagg; 24-12-2012 at 12:55.

Default Re: Felixstowe RAF Regiment Plaque

Interesting to note that there is no mention on anyof the memorials of the presence of H.M.S. Beehive which operated MTBs and MGBs out of Felixstowe dock basin during WW2. Before the extensive modifications of the original dock layout from the eighties onwards, the Little Ships Hotel near the dock basin was the closest tie to the RN, as it was well patronised ( what a surprise - ! ) by the navy crews and renamed in respect. Also, H.M.S.Beehive was one of the bases for Operation Deadlight and there are a number of photos showing surrendered S Boats and U Boats in and around the dock basin.

Default Re: Felixstowe RAF Regiment Plaque

Quote Originally Posted by SimonGee View Post
    Interesting to note that there is no mention on anyof the memorials of the presence of H.M.S. Beehive which operated MTBs and MGBs out of Felixstowe dock basin during WW2. Before the extensive modifications of the original dock layout from the eighties onwards, the Little Ships Hotel near the dock basin was the closest tie to the RN, as it was well patronised ( what a surprise - ! ) by the navy crews and renamed in respect. Also, H.M.S.Beehive was one of the bases for Operation Deadlight and there are a number of photos showing surrendered S Boats and U Boats in and around the dock basin.
    Simon i went over to Felixstowe this morning and there is now a memorial to HMS BEEHIVE at the Landguard car park (just opposite the 44 squadron one). There are also some airman plaques in the church 'CONVENT OF JESUS AND MARY' on ORWELL ROAD. If i can manage to get the hang of posting pictures on here i'll put them up.
    Rob

Default Re: FELIXSTOWE - RAF Felixstowe memorial

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Flagg View Post
    Memorial to RAF Felixstowe on the Town Hall
    I know this is being pedantic by myself but I took issue a few years ago with the clerk of SCDC Felixstowe stating that the plaque was incorrect as the Royal Air Force was not officially formed until the 1st April 1918

Thread Information