Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenley

Default Kenley

A rather poor quality shot of the hangar and tower at Kenley in 1972.

There is a lesson here in photo storage. This is a scan of a print of the rough matt variety that was once fashionable. The grease from my fingerprints has attacked the photo leaving a permanent stain. Most of my 1970's prints hve faded to give an orange colour cast which will no doubt end up looking sepia!
    Back in my youth I didn't see the sense of keeping negatives and print nor did I think about future value. I never dreamt back then that it would be possible to print from a negative without chemicals!

Peter

Dont beat your self up over this, we have all I am sure had a similar experience (at least us oldies have). I have for example, only negs from about 1979, all my previous negatives were seriously damaged by condensation as I lived in a caravan back then. Some of these I have kept but they are in poor condition. I have scanned many of them and using Paint.Net (a free programme) I was able to clean them up. i recommend this programme just Google Paint.Net and down load it for free.

Even so, this is a pretty interesting and rare photo, Peter - any idea when the buildings were destroyed? Arson/fire or demolition?

I think the hangar burnt down in the 1980's. I am not sure about the tower. If anyone has a copy of "Battle of Britain Then and Now" it has a good photo of the hangar remains looking very WW2. If I can get hold of my copy I will post the details.

Peter

I have the the up to date version of 'Battle of Britain -then and now'...I had a check re the hanger. There are no full hanger pics. The only one shows a comparison shot of a burnt out hanger in 1940 and a pic of the last remaining hanger after it was burnt down on October 23rd 1978! It further says that in Sept 1979 after the remains were demolished and cleared.. a wood and canvas temporary hanger was built for the air cadets.

For ya info

Default Re: Kenley 1972 and Photo storage

Thanks very much for this info, guys, I thought it was destroyed by fire. As I have just stated on another thread, Kenley had possibly one of the UK's last surviving Bessoneau hangars in the late 1980s/early 1990s (I forget when I saw it or if I took a photo), so this must be the same structure! I happen to know that RAF Stafford donated their very last Bessoneau 'spares' to Brooklands Museum in the late 1980s - enough parts for a single front end bay to be recreated complete with canvas curtains. These are still stored by the museum some 20 years later and are now very rare or possibly unique.

UNIQUE!

The airfield is MOD owned still and there has been, or just about to be a fence put up aound the flying field to stop dog walkers walking across the airfield while gliding is taking place! There is a civvie gliding club that is active on weekdays and the Air Cadets are active at weekends

Awesome pics.......As PNK states...unchanged runways etc since the war. One of the fighter pens has been restored and is a memorial! Shame most of the site is now new housing!

I found this picassa web album of Kenley that might interest some

http://picasaweb.google.com/allan.me...26726679064466

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information