Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hampstead Norris

Default Re: RAF Hampstead Norris (Hampstead Norreys)

I did see some others on the road at another entrance point but didn't photograph them - only so many ties-downs you can take pictures of! I was in Yattenden today for a memorial service to my Grandfather, he was the headmaster at Frilsham House until it closed, sadly no longer there as it was demolished when the M4 was built.

A few shots from a recent visit -

Air raid shelter internal -

M&E Plinth

Escape hatch

Original or from a later date ?

Any ideas what this base was for ?

Aircraft tie down blocks

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Your Photo # 4 appears to be the remains of a Soda/Acid Fire Extinguisher. Probably one that has bee activated and not cleaned and refilled. Not unusual during disposal just to activate it and throw the case away. The main portion of the cylinder was filled with water mixed with soda. Inside, just under the top, was a wire basket containing a glass ampoule of sulphuric acid. The extinguisher was activated by striking a spring loaded plunger on the top which shatterd the ampoule. When mixed with the filling a chemical reaction produced CO2 gas that forced the liquid through an internal tube and out through a flexible rubber hose and nozzle integral with the top portion (missing)

Used for general purpose first aid fire fighting; NOT fuel or oil and NOT electrical

Don't think those last photo's are tie downs, look too small and cast in an old drum? the tie downs I have seen wer bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by PETERTHEEATER View Post
    Your Photo # 4 appears to be the remains of a Soda/Acid Fire Extinguisher. Probably one that has bee activated and not cleaned and refilled. Not unusual during disposal just to activate it and throw the case away. The main portion of the cylinder was filled with water mixed with soda. Inside, just under the top, was a wire basket containing a glass ampoule of sulphuric acid. The extinguisher was activated by striking a spring loaded plunger on the top which shatterd the ampoule. When mixed with the filling a chemical reaction produced CO2 gas that forced the liquid through an internal tube and out through a flexible rubber hose and nozzle integral with the top portion (missing)

Used for general purpose first aid fire fighting; NOT fuel or oil and NOT electrical
    Thanks Peter for the info -

Spud - I think these are tie downs but related to the light aircraft that are now at the field.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information