Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stretton / HMS Blackcap

tigger

Default Re: Stretton / HMS Blackcap

It was the RADAR site, here. Notable as it was the first to house joint military and civil air traffic controllers when it became "Northern RADAR".

The picket post and tractor shed still exist in reasonable condition. The radio huts were in very poor condition last time i was up there.

The wireless transmitter site had a single building, here, with the aerial arrays around the outside of the visible rectangular area.

Also see: http://www.airfieldinformationexchan...%28Stretton%29
    Last edited by Richard Flagg; 11-02-2012 at 03:27.

Visited Stretton on the 21st April. Access is very easy via the eastern entrance which is part of the peri track extention and is now frequently used by dog walkers

southern dispersals

rear entrance to the Type B fighter pen shelter

inside the Type B fighter pen shelter

The Shell buildings have been attacked by the local youths

eastern observation room

western observation room

southern taxi way looking west

southern taxi way looking east

front entrance to the Type B fighter pen shelter

hangar on the private strip that uses part of the NE taxy way as a runway

CFM Shadow on the NE private strip

looking down the main runway from the eastern end

SW taxy way

There is now a microlight strip just outside of the SW boundary of the old airfield know as Barley Hay

thanks for looking

Can anyone give me any idea of how many hangars were built at Stretton? Also, how many still survive?

Thanks

From the two Admiralty Controlled Books:

4 Squadron 60 by 70 by 20 ft
    4 Squadron 60 by 70 by 17 ft
    1 Blister under construction
    One ARS (185 by 105) on north side of airfield at repair yard (storage under construction - planned for 25 aircraft)

4 Teesside 'S' 60 by 70 by 20 ft
    6 Mains 60 by 70 by 17 ft
    1 Blister for ATC gliders
    Workshops at repair yard. (Storage now planned for 300 aircraft)

Thanks Graham!

I had the opportunity to visit this place today, wow what a huge site! I did not expect it to be this big and in such a good condition.

Will be going back soon, I am after a site layout or map if anybody can help?

Thanks

Hi all,
    A few weeks ago my son and I called in on a few airfields enroute from Fife to Dorset for the Swanage Railway Diesel Gala, Stretton was the first we went to. We didn't have a great deal of time so just a few images from locations seen before.
    Looking west from the threshold of Runway 28
    IMG_3169.jpg
    Looking east from the threshold of Runway 10
    IMG_3179.jpg
    The intersection of Runways 10/28 and 03/21 from the threshold of 10
    IMG_3181.jpg
    Runway 10 threshold
    IMG_3191.jpg

At the gate by the 10 threshold off the road was a note of proposed planning consent for a car park on the airfield which included an underground section. The date on the letter was recent and I'm kicking myself for not taking a photo of it. I have looked on Cheshire Council's website at their planning applications and can not find any details of it. I was starting to doubt myself but my son confirmed it.

Cheers
    Jules
    Last edited by Windcutter; 24-06-2014 at 18:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Windcutter View Post
    .......... I have looked on Cheshire Council's website at their planning applications and can not find any details of it. I was starting to doubt myself but my son confirmed it.
    Jules, it will not be either of the Cheshire planning departments. Application will be via Warrington and may refer to the YOI or industrial estate on the west side of the M56 rather than the area where you saw the notice as they tend to post them on several gateways around the old airfield boundary.

Planning application is 2014/23332 and is for an office block with underground car storage/display area . Involves removal of some of the peritrack, the remaining fuelling apron (probably also the ADI block but that wasn't obvious as I read through it), the remaining bomb store building and removal of the trashed Shell Oils test buildings. Landscaping and new entrance. The two remaining dispersal pens will not be removed.

Essentially it's a re-hash of all of the previous applications to begin the creation of a motor racing experience centre.

Probably the thin edge of the wedge and to me the loss of the open space is more significant than the loss in terms of the airfield.
    Last edited by Iain Taylor; 26-06-2014 at 14:22.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information