Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shepherds Grove

Default Shepherds Grove

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone can help me with any information about the base that used to be at Shepherds Grove just north of Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk

Any infomation or points in the right direction much appreicated

Many Thanks

Default Re: Sheppards Grove

The RAFM have site plans, which I have copies of but they are not great at all.

There is a website that may be of use; http://shepherdsgrove.com/ - it does have some good stuff on there.

What bits are you researching? Or is it the airfield in general?

Default Re: Shepherds Grove

Quote Originally Posted by marauder
    Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone can help me with any information about the base that used to be at Shepherds Grove just north of Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk

Any infomation or points in the right direction much appreicated

Many Thanks
    We have a small display devoted to Shepherds Grove at the Bentwaters Cold War Museum.
    Regards.

Graham

There is a nice badge in the concrete outside the squadron headquarters building for the 92nd FIS, it has the squadron badge and the words 92nd ftr sqn 2nd Oct 1951 engraved in the concrete. Nearer the building there is another date which is 1943. Also at least one other building has lots of names and dates written in the concrete floor along the inside of the building. There are some newspaper cuttings from 1951 in the AAM at Duxford with an article on the Sabres arriving at Shepherds Grove and one or two photo's in the display cases where the uniforms are.

I've got some pic's of the badge in the concrete somewhere, if I can find them i'll post them here.

I want to include these photos in the Shepherds Grove chapter of my Suffolk book but i need help in identifying them so that i can caption them, can any one help please.
    Also has any one any idea as to who owns the site which the Gym/Chancel and OPs Block sits,
    If you wish PM me about this.

NO.1

NO.2

NO.3

Jason

Photo 3 is the Parachute Store

Jason,

looking again at your photos, is photo 1 here?:
    http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=52.31...20&r=0&src=msl
    If it is that building then it is on the plan as the 'Photographic Block'

Photo 2, I assume is this building;
    http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=52.31...20&r=0&src=msl
    If so, it is not marked on the site plan

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

The USAF operated figher bomber aircraft from Shepherds Grove during the 1950s and built a secure nuclear weapons store here.

There are three 'igloo' type buildings, two used for storage of nuclear bomb casings and the third for the nuclear components.

The site was double fenced with watch towers.

The igloos are extant and can be seen. Also the weapons maintenance building survives.

http://www.century20war.co.uk/page19.html

Default RAF Shepherd's Grove circa 1951

Hi,

The recent release of the Section F8 F-86 for Microsoft FS got me interested in flight simming again as the Sabre is my all time favorite a/c. I did a repaint of it in the colors of the 92nd FIS and decided that I needed a UK base to fly it out of. Bentwaters would have been OK, but Shepherds Grove would be perfect, so I started digging for info and trying out software to create an airfield. An accurate, usable field is the immediate goal, with generic buildings placed as correctly as possible. That will be followed by learning to create buildings, static a/c and scenery as close as possible to the real Shepherds Grove in the early 50s(it will be an ongoing project). Here's how it stands as of now

The photos on Richard Flagg's website have already been very helpful, but any info on RAF Shepherds Grove would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Default Re: RAF Shepherd's Grove circa 1951

Hi Don

Looks great, is it FS9 or FSX?

I've sent a private massage to you

Stevo

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information