Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Shepherds Grove

Default Re: Shepherds Grove

Hi Scottie - Which fuel tanks are you looking for? I am not aware of any that exist there now. What is the bunker you refer to as well? If you can let me have a location I will check the RSP's for you

Cheers

Rich

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

If you look at the airfield in Google Earth 1945 view (rollback) you will see two BFIs (Bulk Fuel Installation) for aviation gasoline, one here:

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepat...one&rgrat=None

and one here:

However, there is a third site visible that may be a Supplementary FI:

The first two would have been standard buried tanks but the third - if that is what it is - would have had two surface vertical tanks.

The airfield was not opened until 1944 so a supplementary FI is quite likely.

If another member has a legible copy of an RSP please confirm my assumption.

As to the 'bunker nearby' are you referring to the Battle Headquarters?

Good morning,

Thank you for your help - what I am looking for is any information about the bulk fuel tanks within - or nearby - the horseshoe shaped turning area seen on Googlemap (2). Does anyone have photographs or drawings of what it may have looked like when built or in use please.

The bunker or air raid shelter is one heard about close to the above mentioned fuel tank.

Many thanks

The area you mention HERE is on the RSP as building 118, a 72000 gallon petrol installation built to drg no 9846/41. I drive past regularly so I'll stop by next time I am out that way for a closer look. There is nothing on the RSP about a bunker, ARS, or BHQ in that area, the only other thing was a transformer plinth, bldg 119 which was on the other side of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Flagg View Post
    The area you mention HERE is on the RSP as building 118, a 72000 gallon petrol installation built to drg no 9846/41. I drive past regularly so I'll stop by next time I am out that way for a closer look. There is nothing on the RSP about a bunker, ARS, or BHQ in that area, the only other thing was a transformer plinth, bldg 119 which was on the other side of the road.
    There used to be a building there when I was a kid. I don't remember a bunker.

Quote Originally Posted by YAMFan View Post
    There used to be a building there when I was a kid. I don't remember a bunker.
    Thank you both - very helpful. Where may I find copies of the drawing 9846/41 please?

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    Thank you both - very helpful. Where may I find copies of the drawing 9846/41 please?
    You can order maps from the RAF Museum:

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/research...-stations.aspx

It'll cost you 50p for an A3 sheet (plus postage).

I've got a copy of the site plan somewhere in the loft but I can't find it.

I went to Shepherds Grove for an hour or so this afternoon and one of the places I visited was the area mentioned above by Scottie.

This is the area covered;

Photos as per key in this screen shot;

1;

2;

3;

4;

5;

6;

7;

8;

9;

10;