Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shepherds Grove

Default Re: RAF Shepherd's Grove circa 1951

Hi Stevo,

That's in FSX. I'm going to reinstall FS9 as I want to make sure that it will work there also. I imagine some of the object libraries may be different? I'm in love with that Sabre, though. I hadn't touched FS for more than a year till I ran across that F-86.

Default Re: Shepherds Grove

Hi,
    I'm doing research on the layout of RAF Shepherds Grove and using Richard Flagg's photos, Flashearth and Google Earth, I've come up with some tentative IDs of some of the buildings but am left wondering about this complex at the northwest side of the field

It seems to have the same configuration as buildings that were identified as an "Institute" in a thread on another field. Would this be a "NAAFI" building and therefore probably the Base Exchange when the USAF was using the airbase?

The nissen to the left is the station theatre ort cinema

The Nissen complex would appear to be an Officers' Mess 12877/41 with two huts reduced in length.

All the best,
    PB

Thanks for the help, Paul & Paul. The Officers' Mess probably ended up as the "O Club" when we were the airfield's tenants.

I have a site plan for the Airfield Site only dated 1944. All I have listed is that is Site No 3. I couldn't say exactly what it was though.

Here's a quick trace-over from the 1940s-50s air photo, transferred onto the Google Earth image:

The Officers' Mess was built full size, the projection room was on the end of one bay of a Dining Hall (this remaining bay has now been demolished) and what appears to be a Sergeants' Mess at the southern end of a Communal Site. An Ablutions Block stood between the Dining Hall and Sgts' Mess.

Elsewhere on site, the Institute stood immediately north of the Gym and Chancel.
    This had a slight deviation from the AM Drawing in that rather than having the storage hut seperate at one end of the parallel bays, it was built alongside due to lack of space, and became directly connected by a flat-roofed extension.

All the best,
    PB
    Last edited by contentd; 21-07-2009 at 17:45.

Near the Gym i noticed what looked like the Ops block, is this so?

I think that's a Standby Set House.

The Ops Block was elsewhere, at the end of the road leading southwards past the Gym.
    The location can be seen in Google Earth as the wooded area between the housing estate and the Technical Site, with the course of the road to the SHQ visible curving along the eastern and southern sides.

Here's part of the old photo overlaid into GE:

All the best,
    PB

My eyes are getting a bit tired from staring at this satellite imagery, but something just jumped out at me that would prove to me beyond a doubt that RAF Shepherds Grove had been inhabited by Americans, even if I hadn't already known it. It was a lot fainter in the Google imagery that I was using, but the Flashearth photo shows it very well. Just below the old cinema building there's a baseball field. You can just make out the diamond.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information