Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Windrush

Default Re: Windrush

It is a Pillbox, probably as Mike says, a Type 22. But, it appears to have 8 sides (octagonal) so could be a modified local version.

The Battle Headquarters is (or was?) adjacent to the Watch Office. About here:
    I have viewed the aerial photographs for RAF Windrush and it does have eight sides, but that is the standard Type 27 design…see here.
    http://www.pillbox-study-group.org.uk/type27page.htm

Also there was some confusion in the records over the Battle Headquarters. There was never a ‘standard’ under ground Battle HQ here, so 'they' may have been referring to the Type 27 pillbox which may or may not have doubled up as a Battle HQ. (see my updated record here http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1422448)

Mand

Yes that appears to be a thin-walled type 27 pillbox 51482408N 1441253W

BHQ 51482803 1441689W

Furthermore its down in the audiits as a 11008/41. If in doubt consolt the audits first, as the answer may be there - that is what they are there for.

I've got a copy of the Windrush site plan here but sadly I don't have the schedule of buildings so I can't correlate the numbers to specific buildings.

That said, the drawing is based on a site survey of 25.8.1942 and according to the notes in the corner, has been amended twice - once in 1.10.1943 and again in April 1945.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the pillbox isn't shown on the site plan nor the supposed lozenge shaped pillbox to the south of the airfield either (the latter doesn't even appear on any period aerial photos I've seen curiously). I've noticed that quite a few site plans don't show larger pillboxes as I assume they were built by the Army/RAF Regiment after consultation with the local LDA.

Paul, what format are you references in because in GE they put me in a field just out Great Shefford?

I'd be curious to know where the BHQ was because I never found it all my years exploring the airfield. Apart from a lot of slit and blast trenches that pillbox was the only major bunker/defensive structure I ever found. The location The Defence of Britian project give is totally bogus as there was what I believe was a parachute store standing. I remember it well as having one end collapsed and the farmer used to just fill it with straw for the sheep to graze on.

Yes I did see the DOB reference at that location, but thought some one may have been mistaken when they recorded it as that BHQ location is clearly a building on the 1946 aerial photos.
    Richard Drew took this ground shot of it http://www.atlantikwall.co.uk/atlant...site/home.html its been allowed to cempletely collapse. You can see its deterioration on GE’s historical imagery as well.

Photo Source: English Heritage (NMR) RAF Photography and GE in 1999 and in 2006
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes i agree OneEightBit.. i never saw the southern lozenge shaped pillbox either, and concluded that it was a wrong grid reference or erroneous record. I have to say I do come across quite a lot of DoB records that are in the wrong place or recorded wrongly. So I don't always trust them. I too have some vague recollection of the building referred to as the BHQ as being a parachute store but i can't find the reference again.

I managed to find a picture of said parachute store from circa 1989 when I was just a wee nipper with a box brownie type afair (hence the poor quality)

Building it question is on the far left. The raised middle of the roof and double chimneys give it away as a parachute store.

Not sure I understand this, as I did the audits for the BHQs, based on MPP work for EH about the time of the DoB project. My work was based on the primary sources ie site plans. I have to agree with Manda about the quality of the data collected by the DoB as regards to airfields but I cannot explain why this is in error.

Hmmm that is curious....could it be that the BHQ was intended to be located there but was never built? .....as OneEighthBit suggests with the site survey having amendments.

Quote Originally Posted by manda View Post
    Richard Drew took this ground shot of it http://www.atlantikwall.co.uk/atlant...site/home.html its been allowed to cempletely collapse.
    The collapsed building was the Parachute Store;

Someone must preserve those chimney pots.

Graham

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information