Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruntingthorpe

Cheers Mawganmad!

It's suprising how many buildings are all still standing actually. Especially the WW2 era buildings being as the whole site was basically re-built for the americans.
    The airfield is open to the public on sundays only from 10.00am till 4.00pm and costs 5.00 which i think is 5 quid well spent to be honest. Many of the buildings which i took pics of can be found any day of the week however mainly on the Bruntingthorpe Industrial Estate and in the surrounding countryside.

These were took in March 05 for a classic car magazine feature (Practical Classics )
    This was took at the end of the main runway,note the key board in the background. mine is the red Cavalier, my mates is the white Sapporo.

Taken going down the main runway by the photographer hanging out of the back of a Mondeo estate at 35 mph

I've got more shots taken of the day and will dig them out.

One of my favourite views of Bruntingthorpe, from inside the supper guppy ! Keith.

Default Re: RAF Bruntingthorpe

What is the situation regarding photographing the airfield and buildings? I assume that a word at the security hut on the main entrance is ok, also what about getting shots of the aircraft, i was planning on going on a weekday or would a Sunday be best.

Thanks

The museum is open to the public on sundays only.10.00 till 4.00. All the aircraft are on view and as far as i know you can see the vulcan parked in the hangar as well.I wasn't allowed to wander up to where the control tower was unfortunatly. Other than that i don't think you'll have much look getting in to the airfield on any other day of the week.

Theres plenty of old buildings on the technical site still standing on the Bruntingthorpe industrial estate just up the road from the main enterance that you can get close up to and photograph as you can see from some of the pics i posted in this thread and it's worth keeping an eye out in some of the surrounding fields as theres a few buildings still standing there also.

Bruntingthorpe's only a 20 minute drive away for me.Let me know when you plan on visiting Jason and i'll join you mate.

Aerial shot taken November, we just missed the Vulcan's arrival by a couple of hours and by the time we overflew she was safely tucked up in the hangar -

Default Bruntingthorpe buildings

Visited here with Stevie and his mate Mick, whilst there i photographed these, any ideas as to what they are.

NO:1

NO:2 Are the round pillars original? they have metal protruding from them.

Got up to the WW2 Control Tower and photographed it. I'll let Stevie post his pics of this.

Default Re: Bruntingthorpe buildings

Picture 1 could be an ILS Localiser Building
    Last edited by tigger; 05-07-2012 at 11:04. Reason: deleted fotopic link

Cheers for that Rich. That building at Watton does look very similar.

Ermmm!!....forgive my ignorance but what was an ILS Localiser building used for exactly???

The localiser transmitter is part of the ILS, or instrument Landing System. The Localiser proveides azimuth, or left and right , steering information to keep on the runway centre line. Paired with the localiser is the glideslope transmitter, which provides vertical steering information down to the threshold. The localiser is placed at the end of the runway, usually some distance from the threshold, whilst the glideslope is normally located to one side of the runway threshold.

I don't think the building in pic 01 is a localiser transmitter, it could be the glideslope transmitter building though. Depends on its location on the airfield . However I'm wondering if it is the B centre building for the runway lighting. Refer to the very long thread on runway lighting in the general section.
    Last edited by tigger; 05-07-2012 at 11:04. Reason: removed broken link

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information