Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruntingthorpe

Default Re: RAF Bruntingthorpe

The Bruntingthorpe Vulcan hangar has always defeated me in my UK hangar research endeavours for ARG/Institution of Civil Engineers. Stevie said : “it was definately in an excellent book by Roy Bonser called "Aviation In Leicestershire and Rutland" which mentions the american hanger being a Butler.”

The Butler designation is confusing as the Defence Estates Technical Bulletin TB02/02 has the Butler as a 40ft span pitched-roof steel portal frame with tapered I-section column & rafter members, whereas the Brunt example appears to be a reinforced concrete(?) arch with small add-on steel trusses on the main arch members at the crown, and obviously much larger span & rise. Similar examples to Brunt are Hangar 4/Bldg 303 at Greenham Common, plus the ‘Wimpy’ example at Alconbury that I didn’t previously know about.

In attempts to get more info on USAF hangars in UK I have previously downloaded ‘History & Architecture of Military Aircraft Hangars’ by Julie L Webster, US Army Construction Engineering Lab., Illinois, May 2001, but only appears to cover US examples. Another interesting download was ‘Air Force Bases Vol.2, Air bases Outside the USA’ by Harry Fletcher, 1993, but only covers unit allocations/personnel, not buildings. An interesting website that goes into more detail is the American Library of Congress website on American Memory-Architecture, see: http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/browse/List ... +Landscape
    Searching ‘hangar’ gives 110 hits, all in USA, but much detail on drawings/history on all sorts of hangar/airship shed.

Is there any chance of seeing any drawings at least of the Brunt/Greenham hangar as it is probably one of the few concrete hangars in UK (ie Type Ds-obviously, Abingdon, BOAC Heathrow, Heston & the two demolished ones at Doncaster) and as such is of particular interest, which needs recording. For instance, not personally having visited or made any enquiries of Brunt, would they have any drawings of it? Any help gratefully received.

Hopefully
    Ian

Heres just a few of the hundreds of pictures i took from a great day at Brunty's Cold War Jets Open Day...and amazingly it didn't hammer it down with rain for a change......

Couldn't resist getting a couple of piccys of Bruntingthorpe's massive runway. Above - at the beginning of the day and below - at the end -

Just for you Balders as promised mate .....The Lightnings and the QRA shed which is almost completed!

Vulcan going through her pre-airshow season maintenance inside the Wimpy..Butler...oh! whatever hangar it is!

The Lightning's take off run was totally awesome but for me the real highlight of the day was the Victor. The most dramatic take off run it's ever done as anybody that witnessed it will agree!

Cheers,
    Steve
    Last edited by stevie; 23-07-2009 at 03:02.

check here or pictures of victor airborne, not very neat, could have been a disaster.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... orpe&mid=0

more information can be found here.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... -taxi.html

Default Re: Bruntingthorpe

It was the end of an era today at Bruntingthorpe as the Vulcan took off from the airfield for the last time after living here for 16 years following her retirement from the RAF. She flew off to perform some flight tests and then on to her temporary new home for the display season at Brize Norton.

So heres some shots i took this afternoon.
    Sorry the pics aren't brilliant. Lets face it they wouldn't exactly make the pages of Flypast as it's a nightmare trying to photograph moving objects with no zoom on my camera!
    Here they are never the less -

Nice long shot here (not that i had a choice ha ha) as she climbed out -

and she gave us one final flypast -

At least we've still got the other V- bomber at Brunty -

Cheers,
    Steve
    Last edited by stevie; 23-07-2009 at 03:03.

Taken 2007

Would anyone happen to know anything about the so called 'Bunkers' underneath Bruntingthorpe? I heard there was a hospital under the hanger when the Americans ran the place..

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by XL565 View Post
    Would anyone happen to know anything about the so called 'Bunkers' underneath Bruntingthorpe? I heard there was a hospital under the hanger when the Americans ran the place..

Tom
    Know the airfield almost as well as the back of my hand. Born and raised at Gilmorton. As kids we used to give the security a run for their money. they never caught us. Why? because we knew about the tunnels under the airfield.
    They are still there.

Quote Originally Posted by PETERTHEEATER View Post
    C'mon laugemsue, let's have details of tunnels under runways.
    Please understand that the airfield has been privately owned for many years, so other than obtaining permission for access, (which to go climbing along tunnels would not be granted) for normal activities is restrictive.
    Sadly all entrances are within the perimeter fences.

Also it would be wrong for me to give actual details of locations on an open forum.

But rest assured that if confirmation of thier existance is required many of a certain age group (that originate from the village) of Gilmorton can give it.

Senior Member MSgtWilliamsUSAFRet's Avatar

My name is Jack Williams. I was assigned to RAF Bruntingthorpe from the end of 1959 through the closure in mid 1962. The base was one leg of the ABC complex of bases. "A" was for Alconbury, "B" was Bruntingthorpe, and "C" was Chelveston. All of these bases were home to the twin jet engine RB-66 Destroyer.

I was a Staff Sergeant at the time and was responsible for the ground based radio navigational aids. At that time the NavAids at Bruntingthorpe consisted of a Low Frequency beacon, TVOR, TACAN, Control Tower, and a mobile GCA capable of rotating and providing precision approaches for either end of the single runway.
    Last edited by MSgtWilliamsUSAFRet; 05-04-2010 at 14:18.

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information