Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bungay / Flixton

Default Re: Bungay murels part one

Many thanks Richard..i completely understand..i'm actually based down in London now..but have really fond memories of discovering local airfields such as Seething , Eye and Hardwick.I still have friends still up in Norfolk who i visit from time to time so perhaps i might plan a trip some time.They always really left a really strong impression on me ..such a human reminder..of the men who served.On a separate note i wondered if you might help with another query ..i note there is a pill box literally right next to the Bungay golf club house..and this always struck me as being a long way from the actual airfield..do you know if this was part of the airfield's defense..or perhaps a separate defensive concern ..the river ..the main road perhaps?
    many thanks
    Laurence

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Bear in mind that the present A143 road is post-war and built directly on the bed of the former railway. The railway station was right on the doorstep of the golf course clubhouse or perhaps that should be the other way round!

The pillbox location indicates that it covers the railway bridge over the stream.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=bungay...d+Kingdom&z=18

Just a short distance to the west is the former Earsham munitions storage areas used by the USAAF and discussed fully in separate threads on AiX.

thanks Peter..yes that would make much more sense..
    i found this 1946 OS map that shows the railway line well..
    http://www.npemap.org.uk/tiles/map.html#209,95,2

the map is actually quite an interesting source once you work out how to navigate on it! ...covers quite a wide area ..and interesting how there are no airfields there..giving an idea of 'the lie of the' land before they were built ..although given the map dates to 1946..i'd imagine this means its just a little 'behind' rather than specifically keeping these sites 'secure'?

With regard to the murals at Bungay,I saw these around fifteen years ago and as Laurence says they are very special. Do they have any formal/legal protection now,eg are they or the buildings listed?. If not IMO they should be.

Matt.

Default Re: Bungay / Flixton

Hi Matt

The muriels are all still there but the buildings are in private ownership, access is possible but ONLY BY PRIOR ARRANGEMENT. The couple who own the site are lovely people but don't like visitors just turning up.

Not sure what the future plans are for the site, hopefully something can be done that will see them preserved in the long term

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks for that. I did meet the owners when I visited years ago,I had contacted them several weeks in advance of visiting to ask permission,which was very graciously granted and on the day we were given a full tour by the owner. With us was Terry,one of the volunteers from Seething who said he'd never even heard of the murals before despite living just down the road. Sadly Terry passed away not long after we met but I'll always remember that day when I was 15 looking around Seething and Bungay with him.

I will send you a message later about the murals.

Regards,

Matt.

The weather was great, my engine ran well and there was plenty to see.
    It was interesting to see the old opps board from North Creake in there too !
    Steve

Last edited by Richard Flagg; 19-06-2014 at 22:41. Reason: formatting

Thats alot of engines! Looks like you all had a good day. Nice set of pics

My father was a B-24 Navigator at Flixton and about 10 years ago I had a chance to visit the area while in the UK on business. The bartender in a local pub told me there was nothing left of the WW2 airfield, but when I took a walk after dinner I stumbled across a stretch of remaining pavement. Hard to describe my emotions, but it impressed me so much I wrote a short story about it. Now I realize there is much remaining that I did not see. My wife and I are hoping to visit Flixton next summer and we'll definitely spend some time at the airfield.

I traced the major airfield pavements from a 1945 aerial photo and superimposed the outline on Google maps. Several roads, field boundaries, etc. are still defined by the old airfield. If you go on Google earth and zoom in you can still see the broken pavement in many places.
    Google Maps with Outline.png

A couple of weeks ago I returned to Flixton and, with the permission of the landowner, took pictures of the murals inside the Officers' Club. The map of the United States looked like it had graffiti on it, but upon closer inspection the names of various towns and cities were written in pencil. I'm assuming the officers in the club wrote the name of their home town on the map. I found the name of my father's home town "Goshen" written on the state of Indiana, and it was written in my father's handwriting. Amazing that the pencil scratches still remain after 70 years!

Still Life.jpg

Mask.jpg

704'th.jpg

706'th.jpg

US.jpg

Indiana.jpg
    Last edited by SteveTom; 14-06-2014 at 23:18. Reason: Updated Information

Quote Originally Posted by SteveTom View Post
    My father was a B-24 Navigator at Flixton and about 10 years ago I had a chance to visit the area while in the UK on business. The bartender in a local pub told me there was nothing left of the WW2 airfield, but when I took a walk after dinner I stumbled across a stretch of remaining pavement. Hard to describe my emotions, but it impressed me so much I wrote a short story about it. Now I realize there is much remaining that I did not see. My wife and I are hoping to visit Flixton next summer and we'll definitely spend some time at the airfield.

I traced the major airfield pavements from a 1945 aerial photo and superimposed the outline on Google maps. Several roads, field boundaries, etc. are still defined by the old airfield. If you go on Google earth and zoom in you can still see the broken pavement in many places.
    Google Maps with Outline.png
    Ive learnt never to believe locals when they say "theres nothing left of the airfield" as usually you go and look and find quite a bit of stuff.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information