Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Little Walden

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: Little Walden

Was it located just off the lane opposite Nunns Wood?

Quote Originally Posted by PETERTHEEATER View Post
    Was it located just off the lane opposite Nunns Wood?
    You've got me there, I'm not sure where Nunns Wood is located.

I hope this makes sense.

If you look on GE there is a staggered cross roads, or is that cross tracks, on Bowsers Lane with a large building to the north east of the track that runs north.
    It has what looks like white vans in front of it. (2009 map)

The old barn can be seen in the field to the south and has what looks like a kink in the roof, because that is exactly what it is !
    The entrance was off of bowsers Lane.

As I remember the building was across from there.

Right. This is the 'old barn' (in shadow) Are you referring to the cube structure just to the north?

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepat...z=19&oz=8&gt=1

Better seen here:

This looks more like it?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=little...,22.89,,1,4.45

Anyone got an RSP for Little Walden? This looks like a former dispersed site or this building may be a Picket Post controlling the eastern road approaches to the airfield??
    Last edited by PETERTHEEATER; 09-02-2012 at 09:08.

Is this any help?

Absolutely REF; the old barn is indicated. Building 223 is the one in my Street View (above) What does the RSP Building Schedule identify it as?

The building indicated on the laneside just north of the old barn is not numbered and is either private or municipal. The 'cube' visible in current mapping looks like a modern structure. The Google little orange man wont go down the lane to take a look!

Absolutely REF; the old barn is indicated. Building 223 is the one in my Street View (above) What does the RSP Building Schedule identify it as?
    Bldg 223, Picket Post (drg no 12404/41) - its on Site 5 (Mess Site 2)

The building indicated on the laneside just north of the old barn is not numbered and is either private or municipal. The 'cube' visible in current mapping looks like a modern structure. The Google little orange man wont go down the lane to take a look!
    Building 223 is the one I am referring to.

I don't remember the building in the same field as the barn, I've checked my dates and it was during a couple of days in the summer of 2006 that I was there, it may be it was obscured from the field by bushes.

Building 223 was almost right in front of us as we drove out, and on one occasion, while my chum padlocked the gate I wandered over to look at it.

If you look to the right of the barn there are some trees and the overgrown bases that I assumed the windows and doors came from were around there.
    But, there is nothing shown on the map at this location, in saying that I have a site plan for Andrewsfield and locals I know swear blind that the plans show buildings that were never there, so who knows.

I sometimes travel to Cambridge and take the route through Saffron Walden, next time I go, whenever that may be, I'll go up via Little Walden to get on the A1307 and take another look, perhaps some pictures too.

But it may not be for quite sometime, so if someone beats me to it.............................

Edit.

Just looked on Google Maps and it shows the building quite well, including the gate to the field we were in !
    Last edited by 698; 09-02-2012 at 11:22.

Quote Originally Posted by 698 View Post
    Building 223 is the one I am referring to.
    Excellent, it looks a little hiddin in the trees, a winter visit seems to be in order!

I don't remember the building in the same field as the barn, I've checked my dates and it was during a couple of days in the summer of 2006 that I was there, it may be it was obscured from the field by bushes.
    Looks like a modern building to me, but not really knowing the place I don't know for sure.

I have a site plan for Andrewsfield and locals I know swear blind that the plans show buildings that were never there, so who knows.
    The RSP's often change during the building of the airfield and sometimes buildings are not built, layouts changed etc.

I'll go up via Little Walden to get on the A1307 and take another look, perhaps some pictures too.
    We like pictures as you have probably noticed!! Look forward to seeing them.

i'm 99% sure building 224 is replaced by the modern barn shown in the link i posted in post #23

Ok !

Got to go past Little Walden sooner than expected.
    A trip out to Mildenhall/Lakenheath got me to detour and look at the , now confirmed, "Picket Post".

Pictures taken by my son Ben.

IMG_2543.jpg

IMG_2549.jpg

IMG_2552.jpg

IMG_2556.jpg

IMG_2558.jpg

IMG_2561.jpg

IMG_2563.jpg

IMG_2566.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg

There is a planning notice attached to one of the poles close to this building for the erection of wind turbines.
    On checking Uttlesfords website the application was withdrawn last year.

The buildings behind this one are all post war from what I could see, although we did not spend too much time there as it was raining and we needed to be getting on to our destination.

The building in the field opposite, which I remembered as soon as I saw it, is in fact, a reasonably modern stable, although it looks disused.
    There is a water pipe coming from the ground some way in front of it, it seems in an odd place so may have once been connected to a long gone building.

Oh yes, the barn that we spent two days clearing out, burning the doors and dumping the old windows along with all the other crud, well thats now on the ground and will end with the same fate as what was once in it.

Hope this info is of interest.

Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information