Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Matching

Default Re: Matching

I can't recall where I read about this book, (Denis perhpas?) but it's referenced somewhere on AiX. I stumbled across a copy on ebay a couple of weeks ago....princely sum of $100 inc shipping.

Thus We Served - A History of the 834th Engineer Aviation Battalion

This was the outfit that built Matching airfield, and the book is in good condition overall, albeit with some loose pages. It even has the separate 'route across Europe' map in the back. I've not had a chance to read it all yet, but a good spread of Matching pictures, references to Bob Hope, Frances Langford and James Cagney having entertained them there, etc... I'm happy to look for specific references for anyone with an interest.

Thats the one I have Chris, packed full of information and photos of the airfield under construction.
    Was 'on site' yesterday, water tower still there and no sign of work on the admin site.

Quote Originally Posted by Denis View Post
    Toby, I dont know how I missed this post from over a year ago but.......the farm was called Pottins Farm, there was also a pub demolished to make way for the airfield and that was the 'Kicking Dickey'
    Sorry for the slight delay in answering that one!
    Yes, I had worked it out from a copy of an old map which has hung on my parent's hall wall for ever. I think I am right in saying that Pottins lay on the intersection of the main with the E/W secondary. There were two roads running across the site, one vaguely along the course of the existing Matching - Abbess road, the other, on which Pottins lay, from Matching to White Roding via Waterloo Farm.

Just to help, a copy of the photograph.

Page 1.jpg

Not sure where the Kicking Dickey lay, as I don't think it shows up on the old map.

PS Why has the photograph loaded as one of those annoying clickable thumbnails - something has changed in forum posting process?
    Last edited by horrocks; 20-06-2011 at 13:53.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

.....the farm was called Pottins Farm,

Denis, there is a structure named Poteens on a 1923 map.

Michael Scantlebury grows grass seed on most of his half of the airfield, which is lovely to look at. For some reason he has mown a large section along the line of the old main runway. It is actually about 10' wider than the runway was, but it looks at a glance as though it has been reincarnated.

The surviving section of peritrack.

Looking north along the main at the intersection. This is the right hand side of the main - the mown section can be seen on the left.

All under a spectacularly beautiful June evening sky.
    Last edited by horrocks; 24-06-2011 at 17:49.

A photo of the tower I took in 2008

The local branch of the MVT held a vehicle run to Matching and Gt Dunmow airfields today. We had permission to enter a part of Matching not previously photographed before. We then went over to Gt Dunmow where we were treated rather unexpectedly to a glimpse inside the Crew Briefing hut. I shall post those images over there later.
    Good to meet Toby (Horrocks) at last, albeit briefly.

A few images from Matching today....
    Vehicles outside the Free gunnery Trainer that is an Over Blister formerly used as a dry bagged cement shed while the airfield was under construction.

Two interior shots of the structure.

Gas clothing & equipment store.
    A light fitting, The peritrack, Crew Room Locker and drying Room, only one span left of this unfortunately.

Inevitable question - where was that light fitting Denis ?

Hanging out the wall of the Gas clothing store Graham!
    Last edited by Denis; 28-11-2011 at 09:54.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information