Thread: Caerwent

Hybrid View

Default Caerwent

Seeing a post on Welford I thought Id ask about this place. What exactly did the RAF and the USAF use it for? And when did it close?

Default Re: Caerwent

Quote Originally Posted by canberra View Post
    Seeing a post on Welford I thought Id ask about this place. What exactly did the RAF and the USAF use it for? And when did it close?
    The US Army, not the US Air Forced used Caerwent to store ammunition. The RAF was the British host service for American visiting forces and, as such was the "landlord" while the Army used the facility. It closed in 1993.

Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    The US Army, not the US Air Forced used Caerwent to store ammunition. The RAF was the British host service for American visiting forces and, as such was the "landlord" while the Army used the facility. It closed in 1993.
    Didn't close all together - i worked there for a week in around 2000.

Am I right in thinking that Caerwent is where the episode of Top Gear was filmed that was aired on BBC2 on 2 Feb 2014 (opening episode of the 21st series)?
    Last edited by Paul Francis; 03-02-2014 at 20:02.

It was indeed Rich.

Caerwent started life (1936) as the Royal Naval Propellant factory, a successor to the RNCF Holton Heath. In 1965 it was decided to move cordite manufacture to Bishopton in Scotland. Final closure was in 1967.
    I visited the site in 1987 when it was a joint RAF/USA site and remember a great deal of the original buildings now empty of plant, but full of various types of missile. The C.O. at the time was a S/L Chadwick.
    A later visit sometime in the 90's showed the site to be deserted and overgrown, with occasional use for police riot training.

If a more detail is required, I would suggest contacting Mr. Medwyn Parry of the Royal Historical Commission of Monuments (Wales), as he has made a detailed study of the site and its history.

Les.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

I know its obvious but see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_N...tory,_Caerwent and the links from it.

I've been to cearwent numerous times since 1996, for soth wakles car rallies, it's a huge site, loads of buildings & some have been disassembled, a fair bit of the railway system is still intact & there are stories of steam & diesel shunters on site, hiding in a big shed, haven't found them yet, google earth gives a good overhead view of this site.

Thread Information