Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Yatesbury

Default Re: Yatesbury

Sad to see the hangar is down. I remember a meteor being stored in there. What became of the other hangars which were mainly refurbished the last time I was there and the Officers Mess?
    If by West Camp you mean the old main camp running parallel to the A4, I believe it was being used as a landing strip, mainly for microlights

Quote Originally Posted by ColinBa View Post
    Sad to see the hangar is down. I remember a meteor being stored in there. What became of the other hangars which were mainly refurbished the last time I was there and the Officers Mess?
    If by West Camp you mean the old main camp running parallel to the A4, I believe it was being used as a landing strip, mainly for microlights
    To the right of the hangar in my photo there are some more hangars that have been converted in to office or storage space.

By west camp I mean the area with offices, which is on the left side. No 1 camp.
    That is still there in the distance, but the path to there has private signs.

That is where the old Officers Mess, a couple of hangars and the remains of RAF Cherhill are. Most of it was being developed but the developer went down.The hangars were being rebuilt along with other buildings.
    You could just drive in but if the gate is closed a guy in one of the houses used to have the key and would let you in.

WWII Flight Offices.
    RAF Yatesbury.
    Photo taken today, 7th November 2013.

Large, Expansion-Period, Side-Opening Hangar.
    This One Was Completed Just In Time For The Outbreak Of WWII,
    And Was Used To Service The Dominie Aircraft Stationed At RAF Yatesbury.
    Photo Taken 7th November 2013.

Guard Room, West Camp,RAF Yatesbury.
    7th November 2013.

A nasty subsidence crack has appeared down the right-hand side by the door & even more rubbish has been piled up inside.

The flight offices look like they have detiorated since I saw them in June 2008.

As you can see it looked freshly rendered at the end wall when I saw it. It looks like part of the wall has collapsed and also, what is the point of the bee??

Quote Originally Posted by REF View Post
    The flight offices look like they have detiorated since I saw them in June 2008.

As you can see it looked freshly rendered at the end wall when I saw it. It looks like part of the wall has collapsed and also, what is the point of the bee??
    There was a sign on the gate about honey, although it looked very old & faded. It had the same bee on it. maybe someone had a business from this building at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtgrech View Post
    There was a sign on the gate about honey, although it looked very old & faded. It had the same bee on it. maybe someone had a business from this building at some point.
    I guess, though the roof looks the same in both our photos. Its such a sad place now, everytime I hear Yatesbury, it is seemingly that another building has collapsed. I thought most of the site was listed.

Quote Originally Posted by REF View Post
    I guess, though the roof looks the same in both our photos. Its such a sad place now, everytime I hear Yatesbury, it is seemingly that another building has collapsed. I thought most of the site was listed.
    So did I Richard. It really is in a sorry state now. I was there recently & I can't believe how bad it's got.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread Information