Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Abingdon

Default Re: Abingdon

Taken from this website;
    http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/hea...en_war_pilots/

Spitfire honours unsung women war pilots

HEADINGTON may have its shark but, for a limited time only, Abingdon has its own rooftop monument, a full-size Spitfire.

A replica of the famous Second World War fighter plane now sits on top of Lodge Hill Garage in Oxford Road.

But owner Peter Jewson says the plane will not become a permanent decoration similar to the shark sculpture lowered into the roof of radio presenter Bill Heine’s Headington home in the 1980s.

The flight enthusiast bought the plane to honour a little- known group of Second World War pilots.

Women from the Air Transport Auxiliary (ATA) flew Spitfires and other planes from factories in cities like Southampton and Coventry to their operational airbases.

Many of the 166 women perished during their missions.

Mr Jewson, who learnt to fly himself in 1957, said: “They had no radios, no weather reports and no bullets in the guns. If you met the enemy you were in trouble.”

Among those who lost their lives was Amy Johnson, the pioneering aviator who was the first woman to fly from Britain to Australia solo.

Tomorrow, Mr Jewson 79, will hold a 1940s lunch at the garage attended by surviving ATA pilots, including Joy Lofthouse, who was one of the first female pilots to fly a Spitfire in the Second World War.

A ceremony at noon is open to the public.

I have only just joined AIX, having stumbled across it while searching for information about Abingdon. I was posted to Abingdon from St Athan in July 1974, to the University of London Air Squadron, and was based in "B" hangar. The guys that maintained the ULAS Bulldogs, also maintained the Chipmunks of No 6 Air Experience Flight.

Previous posts about the servicing on the Beverley struck a Chord with me, because although I never worked on them myself, I had been stationed at Khormaksar, and if I remember the number correctly 131 MU serviced Beverleys there and there was a real cheat to get them into the hangar. The wingspan was too long for the width of the doors, so the Beverley was jacked up and mini railway trucks were postioned under each of the main and the nose undercarriages. These trucks were then attached to each other and the whole assembly was then towed in, sideways, with the trucks running along railway or tram tracks. The process was obviously reversed to get them out again.

I think the only thing that compared even remotely to this, was wathing the rudder being lifted off a Vulcan in the hangar at St Athan, where 32 MU used to service them. The crane driver who usually did this job was a master craftsman!!.

Hope you find this interesting, folks.
    Last edited by Norman; 16-07-2011 at 19:14.

Dale

I was posted to 'F' shed in June '74 to work on Belfast Base maybe we came across each other at some time. If I remember right 'F' shed was built for Beverley servicing hence it's rather unusual 'Balcony'. Also I remember ULAS boys having a real hang up about us Belf lads leading to some fruity moments, a pair of Scottish twins spring to mind.......got it 'The Brookshaws' I'm sure of it......happy days

Dale, I am sure that I recall a pair of twins working on ULAS, but I'll be guided by you as to the names!! Oddly enough there was a pair of twins in my Boy Entrant entry, called Ken and Colin Moth, if I remember correctly. However as I grow older, I notice that my memory is certainly not what it used to be, so I may be wrong........

Quote Originally Posted by Norman View Post
    I have only just joined AIX, having stumbled across it while searching for information about Abingdon. I was posted to Abingdon from St Athan in July 1974, to the University of London Air Squadron, and was based in "B" hangar. The guys that maintained the ULAS Bulldogs, also maintained the Chipmunks of No 6 Air Experience Flight.

Previous posts about the servicing on the Beverley struck a Chord with me, because although I never worked on them myself, I had been stationed at Khormaksar, and if I remember the number correctly 131 MU serviced Beverleys there and there was a real cheat to get them into the hangar. The wingspan was too long for the width of the doors, so the Beverley was jacked up and mini railway trucks were postioned under each of the main and the nose undercarriages. These trucks were then attached to each other and the whole assembly was then towed in, sideways, with the trucks running along railway or tram tracks. The process was obviously reversed to get them out again.

I think the only thing that compared even remotely to this, was wathing the rudder being lifted off a Vulcan in the hangar at St Athan, where 32 MU used to service them. The crane driver who usually did this job was a master craftsman!!.

Hope you find this interesting, folks.
    hi norman

The oxford uni air squadron is down near the barrow road end of the airfield and regularly fly from the runways !

when its not being used for motor weekends and the ususal dog walkers lol

now dalton barracks

cheers hm

Hi Guys, i organise the annual Airshow / Country Show on Abingdon airfield and as such have in depth dealings with the base, and its past.

Ok, HM - Oxford Uni air sqn does not live on Abingdon - its RAF 612 Volunteer Gliding School, flying the Grob 109 motorgliders mainly at weekends but also can happen if courses dictate in the week.

RAF Benson use the airfield (& have down since the RAF moved out in late 92) for Helicopter training, these days the Merlin & Pumas - some days busier than others or not at all.
    The occasional Chinook / Apache & odd other mil Helo uses the airfield too for training. Not uncommon for a C130 during the night on NVG work. So a semi active airfield. Controlled under the guidance of mainly Benson Air Trafficers, but when the Motorgliders fly its under their own frequency, and we of course use allocated freqs for our show.

Army use it for exercises at times, and the Army organised track day happens once a month for motors, aswell as the odd other motor event.

The tech site is known as Dalton Barracks, the airfield being outside the Army peri wire being 'Abingdon Airfield'.

We now have a placing within the Abingdon town centres Museum, i spoke to the museum curator this week about it as theirs nothing really to recognise the Air Force / Army occupied the base. I am therefore looking for any older photos (scanned in & emailed to me) if you wish, of course will be with your credits. Could be a special occasion, or Airshows, or within the hangars etc etc.. please message me then i can forward you an email address.

Even tho its MOD property, dog walkers from mainly the base do use the field for this as the station commanders allowance / discretion tho this may change.

Our show website btw is: www.abingdonfayre.com

And its named Dalton Barracks after Comissary Dalton who won the VC at Rorkes Drift.

These photos were taken by Nigel Bailey-Underwood.

Does anyone have any pictures of the Air Cadet Glider hanger and buildings please
    Required for a flight simulator scenery project

Cheers

Gary

Gary, I have photos of the Glider Hangar at Watton. I'll dig them out and post them over the next couple of days

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information