Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Morpeth and Eshott

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: Airfield Building plans and photo's needed!!

Phantom Phil, at the risk of offending NP I should point out that his image shows the interceptor butt. The other part of the range the Firing Point would have been approximately 25 yards to the right of this butt usually a simple covered structure with either 4 or 6 firing positions for prone rifle or light machine gun. Pistol practice was conducted closer to the butt, standing.

Interceptor Butt - yes I dont think the firing point house was extant. I have washed all the negs now and they look OK.

Edit: Airfield location error.

The butt was one of the worse negs to clean and correct on the computer, though I made the mistake of doing it it paint and it would have been quicker in paint.net. Here is the MT Shed at Eshott:

That is fantastic. Cant wait to see the rest! I've noticed that the blocks on the ground are still there today!

I know there were 17 Miskin hangars around the site but not sure on 17 bays as part of the MT block. The MT block was supposed to have had a watch office extension included also, any ideas??

The blocks are concrete hurters to protect the doors when open. I assume from your comments above, that you have found the hurters for this four-bay block? Not sure I understand about the WO being attached to it, I am pretty sure there was nothing attached in 1981!

Edit: Airfield location error

Here is the Fabric Store, Eshott. This one has two parallel lines running across the picture which I chose to leave. I think this is a scanning error.

Edit: airfield location error

At first glance this looks like a Nissen Hut, but it is not, its in fact a Turners Curved Asbstos Hut at Eshott:

Quote Originally Posted by Carnaby
    This airfield is mentioned in 'Enemy Coast Ahead'. but Gibson was incorrect in his text - he was confusing it with something else
    To clarify this the book says something like,'We flew north to Morpeth - a fine old airfield built on the same lines as Scampton'
    I've always presumed he meant Dishforth.

Graham

The overblisters were moved around the site as part of an exercise during the war and there was even some footage taken of this which I am yet to track down. Part of the exercise seen some of the blisters butted together.

What does one have to do to obtain more pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by norwichpaul
    It refers to its span. Must admit slightly confused by this one as it is double length.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Quote Originally Posted by norwichpaul
    Interceptor Butt - yes I dont think the firing point house was extant. I have washed all the negs now and they look OK.
    I understand NP. But, because PP has asked for drawings and/or pix of specified buildings I did not wnat him to get the impression that the 'MG Range' consisted only of an Interceptor Butt.

Re your last image. There are no parallel scan lines on the image I am looking at so it's fine. Nice pic too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information