Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Attlebridge

Default Re: Attlebridge

I have heard a third wind turbine has gone up, anyone know more?

The tower then and now
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Flagg View Post
    I have heard a third wind turbine has gone up, anyone know more?
    Went right past the airfield's northern edge this evening but only noticed the two current turbines. Will go past again tomorrow & report back.

Regards

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeH View Post
    Went right past the airfield's northern edge this evening but only noticed the two current turbines. Will go past again tomorrow & report back.

Regards

Mike
    Ah, just got to work having forgotten to drive past the airfield this morning. However, I have just phoned my Mum who lives next to Attlebridge airfield and she's informed me that there is to be another turbine installed but that it hasn't happened yet. They've (I'm assuming Bernard Matthews PLC) have muted that the villagers will get cheaper electricity if they're allowed to go ahead, but we'll believe it when we see it.

Will keep you posted if anything develops.

Regards

Mike

Thanks for the update Mike

Default Re: Your friend

Quote Originally Posted by hassiman View Post
    I'm glad I was pointed to this post I had been wondering if anyone was familure with the 8thAF 466 HBG B-24s based out of Attlebridge during WW2. It was at Attlebridge that the Fairington Crew... and their B-24, the last bomber shot down over Germany during WW2 was based.
    A really wonderful book, "The Wings of Morning" by Thomas Childers was written about this crew and operations at Attlebridge.
    I happen to have had the honor of knowing the officer in charge of intelligence for the 466th who actually took Attlebridge over from the RAF for American operations and was there through the end of the war. I have seen many items he kept from those days and had heard many of the stories first hand that I later read anout in Childers wonderful book.

Another great read on Attlebridge is:
    Attlebridge Arsenal: The Men and the Aircraft of the 466th Bomb Group by Earl Wassom and Chris Brassfield
    In your posts you mentioned your friend had a lot of items in a scrapbook from his time at Attlebridge. Do you think there is any chance those Attlebridge items will ever be posted online or added to an archive?

As I read Tom Childers' book Wings of Morning I was interested in the photos and noticed many were contributed by Earl Beitler. I believe he was a squadron operations officer (787th) for a while. He is now deceased, but I have always wondered what became of his photographs and whether the collection has been scanned for any 466th archive. His photos that appeared in Wings of Morning are of interest for the many candid shots of airmen and personnel.

I expect your friend's collection would elicit a great deal of interest, as well.

Default Re: Your friend's Attlebridge collection

Quote Originally Posted by hassiman View Post
    I'm glad I was pointed to this post I had been wondering if anyone was familure with the 8thAF 466 HBG B-24s based out of Attlebridge during WW2. It was at Attlebridge that the Fairington Crew... and their B-24, the last bomber shot down over Germany during WW2 was based.
    A really wonderful book, "The Wings of Morning" by Thomas Childers was written about this crew and operations at Attlebridge.
    I happen to have had the honor of knowing the officer in charge of intelligence for the 466th who actually took Attlebridge over from the RAF for American operations and was there through the end of the war. I have seen many items he kept from those days and had heard many of the stories first hand that I later read anout in Childers wonderful book.

Another great read on Attlebridge is:
    Attlebridge Arsenal: The Men and the Aircraft of the 466th Bomb Group by Earl Wassom and Chris Brassfield
    In your posts you mentioned your friend had a lot of items in a scrapbook from his time at Attlebridge. Do you think there is any chance those Attlebridge items will ever be posted online or added to an archive?

As I read Tom Childers' book Wings of Morning I was interested in the photos and noticed many were contributed by Earl Beitler. I believe he was a squadron operations officer (787th) for a while. He is now deceased, but I have always wondered what became of his photographs and whether the collection has been scanned for any 466th archive. His photos that appeared in Wings of Morning are of interest for the many candid shots of airmen and personnel.

I expect your friend's collection would elicit a great deal of interest, as well.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information