Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Attlebridge

Default Re: Attlebridge

A few photos taken by Bomber which i'm posting up on his behalf -

Hello All!

Forgive me for intruding here, I'm not even sure I am in the right place but you all seem very knowledgeable on this.

My grandfather is turning 90 next month and my dad is trying to put together a photo album/scrapbook for him. He was stationed at Attlebridge in 1944, flew several missions and on October 7, 1944 he was shot down over Belgium just behind British Canadian lines. (B-24)

I have two questions, first, would it be ok for me to have some of the photos here printed to put in this scrapbook? It is for personal use only, and I know he will cherish it.

Second, can anyone recommend a website or other informational source to find out any information about specific flights/incidents? I would like to get more information, and if possible pictures of this plane, for him and myself. I've become hooked on researching this part of his life.

Thank you in advance for any information and letting me poke my head in here. My Grandpa will appreciate it too!

Hi Shanon, welcome to the forum

Don't know wether this is of help; it's the only B-24 loss I have found for the 7th Oct 44.

http://www.b24.net/missions/MM100744.htm

When he sees your post, I'm sure our resident oracle will be along with further info.

Regards Pete

Hi Shannon welcome to the forum .You certanley are welcome to use my photes for your album just wish i had put some of the control tower on as well . If you dont get any replies from others who have posted photes on this thread please let me know on a reply & i will contact others for you to ask theire permision . Not every one reads all the posts at any one time .
    Hope this is of help to you .
    Regards ,
    Bomber .

I'm pretty sure that your Grandfather's plane was B-24H, Serial No. 42-50364, named 'This Is It!', from the 785th Bomb Squadron. My resources tell me that the Garrett crew were flying her (on their 13th mission) when she went down with the loss of one crew member.

I believe I have a picture of 'This Is It!' and would be happy to scan it for you.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeH; 23-11-2012 at 22:53.

Props soon to be turning again on Attlebridge.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/abnormal...ille_1_3254021

Shame they got wrong pic, so what Airfield is the pic of?

It certainly is Attlebridge, looking north west.

Photo by Mike Page from the EDP website in DG1's link.

Google Maps screen shot with arrow showing roughly where the photo was taken from

Guess you are right Ref. but on Google map I could not see the tree in the corner of the field in line with the feed silo.
    Taking a line from runway edge, feed silo and tree. There must be a new building at the farm in the distance as I can not find it on Google map.

Oh, no. I have been waiting for bad news to come from Attlebridge, following the destruction that has taken place at Halesworth since the demise of Sir Bernard 'bootiful' Matthews.

Am I right in saying that Attlebridge is the last substantially complete (and orginal) WWII Class A airfield in East Anglia?

Was wondering if anyone has, or is thinking of taking some aerial shots of the wind turbines on Attlebridge? A work colleague flew over the site a couple of weeks ago but couldn't take pictures as he was a bit busy carrying out a navigational exercise towards gaining his PPL.

I ask because I have family in Weston Longville who'd be interested and I'm a flight simmer who'd like to accurately place a couple of virtual wind turbines in my simulation scenery.

Many thanks,

Mike

PS I noticed that neither turbine has been displaying a red obstruction light at night thus far. Would have thought that it would have been a legal requirement.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread Information