Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Radlett

Default Radlett

Radlett airfield, any info

Hi

I was wondering if anyone had info on Handley Page, Radlett airfield.
    I cannot seem to find much info at all about Radlett, maybe this has something to do with the fact that Handley Page resisted merging companies and soldiered on alone until collapse in 1974 (ish).

Default Re: Radlett airfield, any info

On that subject does anyone know if the Memorial to Handley Page at what was the entrance to the airfield is still there, is so where is it?

I can't confirm if it is still there or not but the grid ref I have for the memorial is TL 152 037, hope this helps

I photographed the memorial there in the early 90s, though iv'e no idea now. I'll post them up as and when i can

Thanks for the grid reference Richard, there was a lot of building work going on in that area when I went past it recently.
    I'll try and get up there next week if I get a chance and have a look, hopefully it will still be there.

The memorial is on the left side of what was the main entrance at Colney Street on the old A5.

There's nothing left of the old site, the runways were taken up years ago and the place is now just another huge industrial park. I always thought it would make a great airfield for London with its transport links into the capital such as the M1,M25,A1 and of course the main line into St Pancras runs right along side the perimeter of the airfield.

My dad was working on the airfield at Radlett one day when a Canberra took off and flew straight in to the railway embankment. Mkaes me feel very ols that I can remember when this airfield was open.

noitallpaul, were those pictures taken from the edge of the industrial park looking east ?

Does the road entrance still exist at the north end of the site (it used to be the entrance for the aggregate company).
    I believe part of this entrance road was the runway.

Just wondering if this still exists.

I am surprised the airfield has not been developed into houses (much like DeHavilland's site).

diddy, the pictures were taken looking south towards Radlett with the industrial area on the right and the railway on the left.
    There is an entrance from the A414 North Orbital Road but I don't know if you can get in from there.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information