Thread: NEW SOUTH WALES - Goulburn

Default NEW SOUTH WALES - Goulburn

Goulburn NSW - YGLB

I was passing through Goulburn in a C182 with a mate of mine... apart from the crosswind that always seems to be blowing there, I found a couple of really old buildings...

...with the remains of a very old aeroplane in front of them...

Slightly newer building but I have no idea what the tall bit is for:

It's an uncontrolled field so no tower.

Default Re: Goulburn NSW - YGLB

That first photo has a very 'nissen hut' look to it, do you know any more about them?

Did you get any aerial photos as well?

Yeah looked like a Nissen hut to me as well, maybe converted into a flying school or something. One of the nearby buildings had a very big, very falling-apart "SKYDIVE HERE' sign on it...

An aerial shot from a couple of years back:

You can just see the tall unknown building in the bottom left corner. The 'nissen huts' are just out of shot to the left.

Thanks for the aerial.

Those nissens have got me think, I wonder what other coutries they were built in? Or if it just a variation on a nissen.

It is a modified wartime Nissan hut and I suspect it is a post war civilian flying club modification rather than a wartime defence adaption. (but perhaps a post war defence adaption).

Nissan huts were and are still very common in Australia from the former bases and establishments of all 3 services, and relocated to many other non military sites and uses.

regards

Mark Pilkington

Yeah I seem to remember a very Nissen-type building that got built up on brick walls and turned into an antiques shop, in Bowral NSW near where I grew up... there are a few around the place.

Hi bud - i am in sydney - goulburn was the original international a/p for here if i remember rightly - tall towers like that are usually water towers to provide pressure water for fire sprinklers etc. - ta j.c.

Thread Information