Thread: HOUNSLOW HEATH - First London Airport Memorial

Default HOUNSLOW HEATH - First London Airport Memorial

During its brief time as "London Terminal Aerodrome", Hounslow Heath witnessed two significant aviation events.

1. The world's first scheduled passenger air service - London-Paris 25.8.1919 using DH16 G-EACT flown by Major C. Patteson.

2. The departure on 12.11.1919 of Vickers Vimy G-EAOU flown by Ross & Keith Smith on the first successful flight from Europe to Australia.

By April 1920 Croydon had become the favoured air venue for London.

The memorial as it was 20 years ago
    [img]

and as it is now (March 200 situated on the Staines Road opposite the junction with Barrack Road.
    [/img]
    Last edited by Richard Flagg; 01-05-2014 at 19:29. Reason: Formatted title

I see the local hooligan element have been there!

yes...and it's not just the paint work. If you compare the earlier photo with the one taken a couple of months ago you will see that not only are the plate and engraving style different but the wording has changed slightly too. I wonder if the first plate "disappeared" ....?!

Default Re: Hounslow Heath

I was here today, pulled into Barrack road took a good look around...couldn't see it anywhere It's possible that I may have somehow missed it as it's quite a busy road with nowhere to park. I'll take another look next week.

Found it today. One from the front, one from the park behind with over-flying aircraft and a closer view.

It's not looking too bad I suppose for it's age there's a brick loose near the base which I pushed back into place. The green waste bins within the second photograph I'm sure were hiding it last time when I failed to see it.....well that's my excuse anyway.
    Last edited by airfields man; 13-11-2013 at 19:02.

Thread Information