Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Detling

Default Re: Detling

Clive,

Excellent pics again, sorry I was unable to accompany you. Did you see the other pillbox in the woods on the left, just before you get into the field where you took your pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave80 View Post
    Clive,

Excellent pics again, sorry I was unable to accompany you. Did you see the other pillbox in the woods on the left, just before you get into the field where you took your pics?
    Thanks Dave - no I didn't see the pillbox in the woods although I did glance in there as I walked through to the field. That's one for next time along with the pillbox on the other side of Bimbury Lane that I couldn't get to as the footpath had been ploughed up and was just a sea of mud!

Also in case anyone was wondering; the rather obscure view in my pic number 5 is, it's the central open well of the pillbox which may have housed a light AA gun:
    see: http://www.pillbox-study-group.org.uk/type27page.htm

cliveh

Hi, in case you are not aware , there is now a book RAF Detling 1915 1959 A history by Anthony MOOr isbn 9781445603462.

IMG_2398 RAF Cold Blow.jpgIMG_2399 RAF Cold Blow.jpgIMG_2401 RAF Cold Blow.jpgIMG_2403 RAF Cold Blow.jpgIMG_2405 RAF Cold Blow.jpgIMG_2406 RAF Cold Blow.jpgIMG_2430 RAF Cold Blow.jpgIMG_2427 RAF Cold Blow.jpgIMG_2435 RAF Cold Blow.jpg

This is the Friningham Wireless Transmitting Station, built in 1939, which is shown on the Detling Site Plan as the W/T Station for the airfield. Nearby is the former RAF Cold Blow which was part of NATO's 'Ace High' tropospheric scatter communication system. Locals will remember the huge dishes (now dismantled & removed) that could be seen for miles around

cliveh

Some wonderful photos here, thanks to all who take the time do it.

I'm looking for info on the bomb stores for a model I'm making of the airfield. Does anyone know what form they took please?
    I've had a good trawl through these forums and there are some recent-ish photos here: http://detlingairfieldarchitecture.com/page35.html but not a lot to base a model on.
    Also Petertheeaters' post war aerial photo earlier in this thread has tantalising views when zoomed in upon.

On the AM plan I have it says "bomb dump (earth traverse only)"
    Does this mean that there was no building within the earthworks? and if so would there still have been lifting apparatus?
    Sorry if they're daft questions but it's a subject I know little about.

Thanks,

Clive
    Last edited by Pat_Pattle; 08-08-2013 at 17:46.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Clive, as far as I know Detling did not have a dedicated bomb store. There were three basic patterns; a pre-war, an early war, and a mid-war layout but Detling - being a fighter airfield - had no requirement. But, certain fighter types were used as Fighter/Bombers albeit for bombs of a 1000 pounds or less so to accommodate the small quantities it was common to assign a Fighter Pen as a bomb store or select an area which met the safety requirements (distance) and throw up an earth embankment (traverse) around it. Bombs were simply stored in rows on parallel timber battens usually 4 x 4 inch often referred to as 'dunnage'. There was no lifting equipment instead fork trucks and cranes were used an, for 250 pound GP bombs human muscle!

Now, would you please indicate the location of the 'bomb store' shown on your RSP and the date of the drawing?

Was it here:

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepat...z=17&oz=8&gt=1
    Last edited by PETERTHEEATER; 11-08-2013 at 06:48. Reason: Minor spelling correction

Quote Originally Posted by Pat_Pattle View Post
    Some wonderful photos here, thanks to all who take the time do it.

I'm looking for info on the bomb stores for a model I'm making of the airfield. Does anyone know what form they took please?
    I've had a good trawl through these forums and there are some recent-ish photos here: http://detlingairfieldarchitecture.com/page35.html but not a lot to base a model on.
    Also Petertheeaters' post war aerial photo earlier in this thread has tantalising views when zoomed in upon.

On the AM plan I have it says "bomb dump (earth traverse only)"
    Does this mean that there was no building within the earthworks? and if so would there still have been lifting apparatus?
    Sorry if they're daft questions but it's a subject I know little about.

Thanks,

Clive
    Hi Clive another Clive here! Take a look at this thread which may help:

http://www.airfieldinformationexchan...0-Raydon/page7

cliveh

Thank you for your informative reply Peter, most helpful

Yes the area referred to in the plan is as you have shown, and marked here on an extract from your 1946 photo.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hi Clive, not too many of us about! Thanks for the link, with that and Peters info I have something to go on.

Regards,

Clive

Thanks Clive, that is interesting. I had figured that area as a potential BS

If you compare the 1946 aerial photograph with PNK's diagram (Post #4) the bomb stores are a regular pattern of a square with an earth traverse on all four sides with a central access through the traverse facing the access road. A short separate traverse on the outside of the road protects the access gap. There appear to be three more of these spaced along the perimeter track running south from the BS area.

Detling opened in 1938 but it is likely that the bomb stores date later say, 1941/42? But, the pattern then would have been a hollow square with ET on three sides and the access road passing the fourth open side. A full length separate traverse was built on the outside of the access road protecting the BS open side. Since your RSP does not state an AM Drawing Number for the BS they were probably built to a local drawing by the Air Ministry Works Department (AMWD) or a local contractor.

This is an early war (Type C )pattern layout at North Luffenham but, beware, the BS are hollow squares with a full length separate ET covering the fourth and open side unlike Detling stores that are ET on all four sides with a central access and separate short ET. But, it should give you an idea of how to model.

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepat...z=18&oz=8&gt=1

Does your copy of the RSP have a date?

Are the three open bay structures spaced down the perimeter track south to the Blister Hangar indicated on the RSP?

Have you fixed a date for Detling that your intended model will represent?

Incidentally, if you look at the Post #4 diagram you will see a separate store on the corner of the area. It is just visible in the 1946 photo. This was almost certainly a Fuzed Bomb and Spare Bomb Store where downloaded (unused) bombs were parked pending issue to avoid de-fuzing and return to storage.
    Last edited by PETERTHEEATER; 11-08-2013 at 07:30. Reason: Add link

Operational use is not my strong point but looking up the history of Detling I see that having reopened (was a RNAS in WW1) in mid 1938 it was assigned to Coastal Command who used Ansons as light bombers. The Dunkirk fiasco was then covered:

Ansons from Detling played their part in the evacuation from Dunkirk in May 1940. To assist operations, Detling played host to a number of Lysanders, Fairey Swordfish and Fairey Albacores. The primary tasks of all three planes were reconnaissance and attacking German submarines and E-boats found in the English Channel. Blenheim bombers were also based at Detling. Their task was to bomb German troop positions as they advanced on Dunkirk.

So, within the limitations of the grass field, light bombers were operational and required support, hence the bomb stores. So, they could date from early war.

Any ops men care to comment?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information