Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redhill

Default Redhill

from the 1950s

Default Re: Redhill

Nice collection of obliques. Maybe we should team up - you do the obliques and I'll do the aerials

Sadly they are limited. I have two books of them I think about 30 airfields in all but one book is a repeat of 15 of them. I prefer aerials though as obliques tend to distort the shape of the airfield.

Last edited by Richard Drew; 20-07-2011 at 13:29. Reason: lost links

A nice comprehensive set of pictures there, Richard - well done.

I wonder if you realised that the present day cafe is the original clubhouse built I think in 1934 and also that most of the hangars are pre-WW2 as well? There may be a Battle HQ extant too but I am not yet sure about that.

Scapa.

Thank you for the information, I have taken my details from the plan. The BHQ was/is in the north east now a field? we did not have time to look for it. A wonderfull airfield.

Hi again, Richard,

I managed to revisit Redhill again a few days ago and mamaged to get some reasonable pictures inlcuding the hangar fronts and the pre-war clubhouse now modernised and re-used as the aerodrome cafe (well worth calling in for a coffee and snack if anyone is in the area). I'll try and get time to post some of my pics soon.

Scapa

Just to add that I also was relaibly informed during my visit that the Battle HQ still survives (but is probably flooded) as do at least a couple of WW2 huts on a former domestic site in the nearby village. I hope to check these out on a future visit soon.

Scapa

Default Redhill

I hope you guys don't mind me using a "General Airfield Discussion" as a "Not too much connected with Airfields" chance to get nostalgic about a/c and flying experiences. I do this as I very much enjoy all the wonderful stuff you good folk write about the actual airfields. I am in awe of just how much research you all put into this and living as I do now in Illinois you connect me with the old country and as I brought the complete set of Action Stations with me 16 years ago I can relate their little bios on each station with the in-depth technical stuff on this website. So thanks guys.

So, airfield is Redhill in the early '80. I was a manager of a Toyota dealer and it was the end of our annual UK dealers conference at Toyota's HQ at Redhill. At the time Toyota sponsored a Pitts Special display team that appeared all over the country with its highly aerobatic little biplanes. At the end of the conferance we were invited to drop by Redhill field to meet the pilots, Nigel Lamb and Steve Privett and look over the a/c. Most of the dealers were in a hurry to get back to their dealerships so just a half dozen took them up on their offer and had a very enjoyable time talking with the pilots.
    It got better! Would we like a ride? Oh boy! I decided to go first as I was afraid I might chicken out if I watched my colleagues hurling the very fine lunch and wine we had drunk. Wow, what an experience, the Pitts Special S2B took off in what seemed like less than a football pitch and before I had caught my breath climbed out and went straight into a loop. Sitting in the front cockpit things seemed to happen without warning and then suddenly England tilted 90 degrees, Steve's voice "Look over your head!" I tilt my head up and holy ...., England is up there! I just had time to wonder if the rather ratty looking seat belt would hold me in when flick, flick and we were the right way up again. I find myself craning my head to one side to see around the long cowling when once more there is nothing but blue and a few fluffy white clouds immediately followed by nothing but green field and houses.
    What an experience and as Steve side slipped it back onto the field I realised I had things to bore folks with for years to come!

Quote Originally Posted by Scapa View Post
    Just to add that I also was relaibly informed during my visit that the Battle HQ still survives (but is probably flooded) as do at least a couple of WW2 huts on a former domestic site in the nearby village. I hope to check these out on a future visit soon.

Scapa
    The BHQ, based on the MS 2279, was in situ when I visited Redhill in 1995, as it was one of my objectives for the day. In one of those wonderful quirks of nature, even though the BHQ is on a hill, it was completely flooded with the exception of the T.22 type OP and the Stanton shelter. The site was heavily overgrown with large bushes and small trees, but I was able to get several 35mm photos of what I could get at. If it is still there, a proper survey would be a good thing, being of the MS 2279 design, but scuba gear or a whacking geat water pump is recommended - !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information