Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Charmy Down

Default Re: Charmy Down

Quote Originally Posted by Another Number View Post
    I wonder why it was not completed.
    In April 1955 GCI stations Charmy Down and Calmo were deleted from the Rotor Plan due to a simplification in Air Defence Policy which had been designed in 1951. It was now believed that a conflict would be a 'three-day' war involving 'area-effect' hydrogen bombs. The exact reasons were quite complex. 400K had been spent already at these two sites and there was a possibility that two more GCI stations might be cancelled with a total loss of 1M.

Source: 'Watching the Skies' Jack Gough, HMSO.

OT but where is Calmo?

Not as far as I know. But this is all that remains. I haven't got much of a clue as to what it would have looked like when completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnaby View Post
    OT but where is Calmo?
    I suspect this is Calvo, near Silloth (the author also spells Charmy as Charmey !)

New Thread

The G.C.I Station at Charmy down was situated on a disused World War II airfield 2 miles north of Bath, and was designated a Readiness G.C.I station, and was not given a high priority in the ROTOR funding schedule. Work started on its construction in May 1953, but progressed slowly and the station was still incomplete when it was abandoned in April 1955 after some 200,000 had been spent on it.

Aerial photographs indicate that at least the shells of the buildings had been complected, and the existence of cable trenches between the radar heads suggests that preliminary fitting-out had been started. there is no evidence however, that the seven radar heads earmarked for the Charmy Down site were ever installed or that any of the electronic equipment was installed in the R8 operations block. the radars were 4 Type 13 Height Finders, 2 Type 14 Search Radars and 1 Type 11.

Nothing remains of the lightweight 'SECO' prefabricated Operations building other than the overgrown large slab of concrete with numerous drain holes and cable ducts. Five red brick radar plinths remain, surmounted by a stell-girder turntable bases, together with a raised platform for a mobile radar and powerhouse building, which is stripped bare of all its equipment.

Charmy_Down(3).jpg
    Type 13 Radar Plinth

Charmy_Down(11).jpg
    This would of been the rear of the R8 operations block, the raised section to the rear is the 'radar office' and 'radar workshop' with with an equipment and plant ramp to the side. The air conditioning plant room was to the right of the raised platform.

Charmy_Down(24).jpg
    Aerial Shot of RAf Charmy Down with the main features labelled.

Charmy_Down(26).jpg
    This is how the The Standby Power House and Guardroom would of looked like.This is photograph is of RAF Hartland Point in Devon.This site has also been demolished by a radar still exists on the operations site run by CAA.

Default http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?1899

Watch Office For
    Night Fighter Stations FCW4514
    At Charmy Down. January 2010.

DSC06331.jpg DSC06279.jpg

DSC06272.jpg Copy of DSC06327.jpg

Default Unknown Building At RAF Charmy Down

Can anybody help?? I cannot identify this building behind the control tower at RAF Charmy Down.
    I doesn't appear in any of my guide books & the best that I can come up with is that is was some kind of control centre. Or over-complicated standby set house.

0204fc2818eb8ad01338147214.jpeg

1974fc2834d2511f1338147661.jpeg
    Last edited by sgtgrech; 27-05-2012 at 21:33.

Default Re: Unknown Building At RAF Charmy Down

Is it a Standby Set House?

It certainly looks a bit like a Standby Set House but behind the tower seems an odd place for one.

I agree, also there is a very large standby set house just a bit further into the camp. This building has several different rooms & doesn't look like a standard set house.

It looks similar to a Main (Intake) Substation, albeit with some minor extensions.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information