Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Halfpenny Green

Default Re: Halfpenny Green

Here is a image from todays Shropshire star,23/03/12 " Pictures from the past" of HG reported to be taken in the 60s depicting possible camouflaged runways

Not camouflage, Ian, but I think that was when the Halfpenny Green Flying Club was getting started in the early 1960s. Various patches of deteriorated tarmac had to be repaired.

The location of the HG WT Site has been puzzling me for some time. The plan gives a 1940's grid which I have converted and although there are isolated properties shown at and around that location nothing which looks WW2 appears to be present.

However I found this building on GE not too far away, could this possibly be the WT Site ?

It's HERE Query HG WT Transmitter Site.kmz
    Last edited by Sparky67; 20-05-2012 at 22:14.

tigger

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky67 View Post
    The location of the HG WT Site has been puzzling me for some time. The plan gives a 1940's grid which I have converted and although there are isolated properties shown at and around that location nothing which looks anything WW2 appears to be present.

However I found this building on GE not too far away, could this possibly be the WT Site ?
    Same orientation as the building on the plan, same road line and the field boundaries (on OS 1K25) and the distance from HG do look correct.

Just checked the 1945 view in GE and it does look promising. The site and local field boundaries match much better with the Air Ministry plan and have clearly changed since 1945 when viewed in the latest GE.

I feel a visit coming on...
    Last edited by Sparky67; 24-05-2012 at 09:43.

This 1946 plan is from Hendon and as you say Ian, it's not great. It shows the two complete sites (airfield and sewage works (still there...)) with the WT site as an insert on the main map. Many of the building reference numbers and some of the text just isn't legible...
    Last edited by Sparky67; 29-05-2012 at 14:04.

Spoke to the landowner and visited this building yesterday. He confirmed it is the WT Tx station, said it had 4 x 100' masts there at one time (the plan shows 3) and it's only still there because it's "full of asbestos". We had a lengthy chat and he made it clear that, due to incidents with his farm plant and diesel tanks, visitors found on his land without permission are robustly encouraged to leave (particularly at 2am...!). Photos to follow.
    Last edited by Sparky67; 03-06-2012 at 15:17.

Halfpenny Green's WT Transmitting station, located some distance away from the airfield.
    Note - do not attempt to access this building without the landowner's prior permission...

Aerial wire lead-through insulator still in the wall...

Last edited by Sparky67; 21-06-2012 at 09:46.

The right-hand fence line is some 25m further away on the 1944 plan.

A very small room... Looks like the remains of obscured glass in the window frame.

Last edited by Sparky67; 03-06-2012 at 21:08. Reason: Photo added

Just to follow from my earlier question, I actually received a scan of the AM plan a few days after Sparky's response above, but unfortunately haven't made it here to say so.

Thanks very much for the offer of a copy, though - much appreciated!

Cheers,

Ian P.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information