Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Halfpenny Green

Default Re: Halfpenny Green

Quote Originally Posted by terryjohn View Post
    Hi.
    his there any new photos of the old watch office seen today
    ..my fathers dad help build this airfield and put in lights etc..hangers.
    terry
    Hi Terry,

Without getting permission to get over to it, it's not very easy to get a decent photograph of it today. As far as i'm aware it's the building behind the NFE shed. Sorry theyre not a bit more revealing. It was a really dark, grey day when i took these as well which didn't help. Anyway, hope they help -

and it's situated here on the airfield -
    https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=hal...15000&t=h&z=21

Cheers
    Steve
    Last edited by stevie; 23-06-2012 at 17:12.

Hi.
    thanks why could you not go over to photo it..
    his it the building behind blue doors sheds.
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by terryjohn View Post
    Hi.
    thanks why could you not go over to photo it..
    his it the building behind blue doors sheds.
    Terry
    Yes mate. The building with the blue doors is the old NFE shed (Night Flying Equipment) and the original watch office is behind it.
    It's in a 'no unauthorised persons' part of the airfield but i'm sure if you asked somebody at the airfield and explained why you want to have a look i'm sure they'd let you nip over to photograph it. I think a hi-viz jacket will definitely have to be worn though.

As Stevie says, you will definitely have to wear something hi-viz. The CAA have long insisted they be worn airside even on small airfields. I think a vest-type that you can get cheap from Halford's is a good investment. I suggest you ask at the office alongside the hangar. Be careful crossing that taxiway when you get permission to go to the old watch office!
    I'd be interested to know if the wartime Pundit beacon on a trailer is still at the Green. It was offered to Cosford and unbelievably they turned it down, even though they can find room for all sorts of irrelevant junk. I heard that it was to be preserved at the Green but it's all gone quiet since.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    As Stevie says, you will definitely have to wear something hi-viz. The CAA have long insisted they be worn airside even on small airfields. I think a vest-type that you can get cheap from Halford's is a good investment. I suggest you ask at the office alongside the hangar. Be careful crossing that taxiway when you get permission to go to the old watch office!
    I'd be interested to know if the wartime Pundit beacon on a trailer is still at the Green. It was offered to Cosford and unbelievably they turned it down, even though they can find room for all sorts of irrelevant junk. I heard that it was to be preserved at the Green but it's all gone quiet since.
    that box with a red beacon light''i saw it as 1990..south side..?
    a white wheeled van with small red beacon light on top...;
    if im right..in 1977 i saw it lit up''goin home too...
    I have photograpths taken from 1978-1980-but in the loft.only one i got was off me in a tigermoth flying trip as a birthday gift.but how do i load it.the pico''
    terry
    Last edited by terryjohn; 23-06-2012 at 20:15.

Doesn't sound like the Pundit beacon, Terry. This is the one that was in use until for night flying until at least 1971. It was parked out by the small watch office and flashed HG in Morse. The runway lights at that time were portable electric ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hello
    thasts the one..but maybe they just showed it off..as from memory ''1980-was the last time.not 1990-
    so'maybe they still have it..I heard that a place in coventry has one..could it be this one..
    and read a sunken WW2 ship in the baltic was loaded with them..lol.true..

on a lighter note''its not uncommon for local farmers to make trailers off old war stuff..a book i read in around 1980 ,a farmer was wheel barrowing stuff..and by some these guys that dig planes up...they spotted his wheels were a bit big'! he said they came off a me 109s tail wheels and spitfires too.lol..
    and even wreckage his still in some high trees..from the war..a pilot who went missing during the battle britain..was not found..Macnay?
    he might have bailed out and fell in trees. or a bog..his plane then just crashed..just my own thoughts..what did happen..
    Terry
    Last edited by terryjohn; 24-06-2012 at 15:49.

After landing at HG went over to have a chat with Flight Path, but unfortunately they were closed. They appear to use the original control tower (sic) building, shown as obsolete on the 1944 plan. Can't quite make out the drawing number - 704-/40 ?

...and the NFE store from the other side.

The same drawing number is shown for the control tower, fire tender shelter, floodlight trailer and tractor shed and the NFE store. It's a pity the plan from Hendon is so poorly reproduced, would like to have identified some of the buildings extant on the domestic site.

That's most of my photos of HG to date... Will hopefully find something else to record next time we're in there...
    Last edited by Sparky67; 26-06-2012 at 14:04. Reason: Added a photo

Here is a image of the tower taken in May 1964, which featured in the Shropshire Stars, (pictures from the past), last monday 2/7/12

Hi

Just noticed they have a new webcam at HG

http://www.wolverhamptonairport.co.u...-green/webcam/

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information