Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Halfpenny Green

Default Re: Halfpenny Green

Quote Originally Posted by norwichpaul View Post
    You mean main workshops, one wing being for engines and the other for airframes.
    I stand corrected Paul, thanks.

I was going from one of those wartime period photos with numbers on to identify buildings and a key beneath, plus a conversation with one of the operations staff from HG, both of which called it the "Engine workshop".

Unfortunately the photo was in the old Aceair office (now The Flying School and the graphic design company...) and I have no idea where it went when Aceair folded.

Ian P.

Here's a selection of pics i took at HG yesterday (26/11/11). I've tried to include some pics of buildings that haven't already appeared in this thread so far. Not difficult really as there is such a lot still standing here thankfully both still in use and derelict. It's a lovely airfield to have a wander around. The chips in the Control Tower Cafe taste pretty good as well!!!! -

We would have liked to have got over to the fenced off MT Sheds and Cinema but i can see why there are plans to demolish them. They're in a really bad state now and look very unsafe. Many thanks to Bomber for the company.

Cheers
    Steve

Not too long ago, subject to the "Birmingham Northern Relief Road" being constructed, a group of people including the then operator and Richard Branson, wanted to do massive redevelopment to Halfpenny Green and turn it into a commercial airport. This was, as many people will remember, when it was renamed to "Wolverhampton Business Airport" and the prices to tenants and home-based operators went through the roof. It killed both the flying school I was with and its successor. It was very sad to see a photo a while back of the first aircraft I ever flew sitting as scrap at the back of a hangar, following the second school's collapse.

In spite of many attempts, in the face of massive local opposition (some justified, some far from justified and plain stupid), the plans were never approved and when the BNRR was scrapped in favour of what is now the "M6 Toll", the plan was dropped. Thankfully, as it would have almost completely wiped the airfield as we know it out.

HG is probably the best preserved WW2 airfield that I am aware of. I just wish that the current operator played a little more to the past, as well as looking to the future.

You'd never guess that I'm rather biased about the place, would you? <rolls eyes>

Ian P.

I must admit to a bit of bias towards HG too Ian !! Our planned flight to Shobdon ran into some moody-looking low clouds west of the Clee Hills, so we diverted into HG for a brew. Here are some more photos taken in January 2012... Noticed a few pill boxes in the undergrowth which I hadn't spotted before while taxying out to runway 28...

NFE Store (fire tender shed to left and original watch office at rear)

View of technical and domestic sites taken looking ~north. Took this one a second too late to capture the complete peri track and disused section of runway !!

View of part of the WW2 domestic site looking ~north. Officers' Mess centre right.

A public footpath crosses this part of the domestic site to the right of the fenceline (left of centre) from top to bottom...passing straight through the WW2 gymnasium...really must walk it one day soon...
    Last edited by Sparky67; 17-01-2012 at 18:04.

Looks a very good site. One to visit, what though is the structure just next to the top hedge, airside, in the second picture, it's got 10 white pillars. It looks like an MT shed.

It is the MT Shed. That along with the Station Cinema next to it are fenced off as there unsafe. Quite difficult to get a decent view at ground level i'm afraid.

It is a great site to look over though. Well worth it.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevie View Post
    I really wish we'd have known about that footpath when we last visited. It's not exactly obvious where it is is it?
    Nope ! If I have interpreted my OS map correctly the public footpath goes through the back garden of the house top centre in the last picture above. There's no footpath sign and the hedge is pretty well impenetrable, although there is a fence panel missing in the garden. I've just looked at the on-line OS leisure map and on there it's shown starting at a gate in Crab Lane and follows the fence line down, going straight through the WW2 gymnasium building and into the field beyond. A much more sensible ROUTE !

I have also been trying to find the Halfpenny Green WT transmitter site which is shown on the plan as an insert, but not actually where it is in relation to the airfield. Converting the old grid ref into OS takes you in the vicinity of a property in a lane a mile or so away from the airfield. GE and Streetmap doesn't reveal anything that looks like a WW2 structure though. Somewhere else to visit on foot.
    Last edited by Sparky67; 15-01-2012 at 00:31.

OK, well, here are the ones I have dug out from our "recce" trip before doing the actual arty-farty photographs for the course. The basic remit was to try and take photos of the airfield on black and white film to look like period shots, and take shots using the digital camera to show the very modern components of the airfield, but if you let me loose on an airfield with a camera, I'll come back with lots of aircraft shots... Guess what fills most of the folder?

Start with the ones that have been discussed recently:

MT Section. As you can see from the holes in the pillars, much of the structure is unsafe and was falling on people - hence the fence and the unfortunate (from our perspective) decision to demolish it.

Rear (landside) shot of what is now the fire crew and fuel bay accomodation... Plus me trying to get arty along the back of another building, towards it.

Last one for this post, sorry about the interloper (which yeah, was what I was actually photographing taking off) but another one of the NF shed, fire engine shed and what is now The Flight Centre's offices, with a new hangar which I believe is also TFC's.

I'll post some more later.

Cheers,

Ian P.
    Last edited by Ian P; 21-01-2012 at 13:16.

Moving along a bit...

Wing and Engine workshops, which again were discussed earlier in this thread. I think I have some more close-up photos of this somewhere, but can't find them right now.

Offices adjacent to the first remaining row of hangars, now used by the Airfield Management team.

Smaller (tiny!) hut between the remaining hangar rows, which I'm sure someone will identify for me very soon - currently home to Hadair Microlight club and school.

And if yer frum round 'ere, them's the bogs!

One more post and I'll be about out of non-aeroplane photos from this folder.

Ian P.

Last one...

I have no idea what these buildings were. They're down towards where the helicopter centre has now been built, but aren't in a good state of repair at all.

And as I said at the start, the original intention was to take photos on b&w film to see if we could tweak them in development to make them look period. The first start to that was done using Canon's RAW Editing tools and the digital SLR, just to give an idea...

I didn't end up doing that project, unfortunately, as I think it could have been fun. The reason we couldn't do it is now 13 months old and asleep on her mum downstairs after being a right grump all morning! Unfortunately she also makes taking photos airside somewhat more difficult than just us with yellow jackets and permission to wander.

Cheers,

Ian P.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information