Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: what weapon ?

  1. #1
    Member hornet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lincoln ( bomber county )
    Posts
    63

    Default what weapon ?

    Hi Guys, can anyone tell me what type of weapon would be used with these mounts please?.


    cheers
    hornet.

  2. #2
    Moderator and ARG Trustee
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The very South of Lincolnshire
    Posts
    1,960

    Default Re: what weapon ?

    Not one I recognise. It's not a Turnbull so that rules out the Vickers.

    Could it be for use with a rifle?

    I have seen the shelves often enough but not any ironwork like that! Where is this? And what pillbox type?

  3. #3
    Member hornet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lincoln ( bomber county )
    Posts
    63

    Default Re: what weapon ?

    no idea what type of pillbox they are but they are located at RAF Wellingore, link to where i found the pictures,
    http://www.controltowers.co.uk/W-Z/Wellingore.htm
    they are still in the pillboxes as of 01/03/09, just doing some research for project Battle HQ
    cheers
    hormet

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Preston
    Posts
    3,655

    Default Re: what weapon ?

    I would take a guess at either lewis guns or brens.

  5. #5
    SuperMod Peter Kirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Peoples Republic of Kent
    Posts
    6,051

    Default Re: what weapon ?

    I wonder if the holes in the frame are to lock the weapon in position?

  6. #6
    Moderator and ARG Trustee
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The very South of Lincolnshire
    Posts
    1,960

    Default Re: what weapon ?

    Quote Originally Posted by PNK
    I wonder if the holes in the frame are to lock the weapon in position?
    Presumably; I can understand that you might want to lock the elevation, but the angle?

    I can't find a good pic at the mo, so I can't confirm if it is the remains of a Pintel mount.

  7. #7

    Default Re: what weapon ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Al
    Presumably; I can understand that you might want to lock the elevation, but the angle?
    It's called firing along fixed lines and it's fairly common. Used mostly for defence at night where having a "free" weapon would run the risk of shooting other defensive positions. You basically set-up a fire plan of fixed lines/arcs (say covering a gap in barbed wire) and lock the gun in position. The mount usually has a limited amount of adjustment, say a few degrees in horizontal/vertical, but that's about it.

    Must confess I've not seen anything like that pic before. Certainly not like the Vickers mounts I've seen and I've never seen/used a Bren one like it.

  8. #8
    Moderator and ARG Trustee
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The very South of Lincolnshire
    Posts
    1,960

    Default Re: what weapon ?

    Quote Originally Posted by OneEighthBit
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Al
    Presumably; I can understand that you might want to lock the elevation, but the angle?
    It's called firing along fixed lines and it's fairly common. Used mostly for defence at night where having a "free" weapon would run the risk of shooting other defensive positions. You basically set-up a fire plan of fixed lines/arcs (say covering a gap in barbed wire) and lock the gun in position. The mount usually has a limited amount of adjustment, say a few degrees in horizontal/vertical, but that's about it.

    Must confess I've not seen anything like that pic before. Certainly not like the Vickers mounts I've seen and I've never seen/used a Bren one like it.
    Right yes of course, that makes sense! I suppose it would have been much easier to understand the logic of it when all the other associated works were in place as you say.

    Someone must have a good picture or drawing of a Pintel...

  9. #9
    Senior Member PETERTHEEATER's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970
    Posts
    7,403

    Default Re: what weapon ?

    Interesting. I have not seen that type of mount in a pillbox before. I agree that it is almost certainly for firing on 'fixed lines' but it looks relativley flimsy so perhaps intended only for a LMG yet there seems liitle room to mount a BREN even with the bipod folded.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Preston
    Posts
    3,655

    Default Re: what weapon ?

    A lot of the pillboxes on RAF bases were built in great hast in the early forties. Apart from the Regiment did RAF bases actually have BREN guns or were they all Lewis guns?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •