Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Donna Nook

Default Re: Donna Nook

Back that way in a few weeks so will have a look, what am i looking for exactly.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

To save PNK time (or pre-empt him) I think these are the two Marker Shelters:

Theddlethorpe: http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepat...z=19&oz=7&gt=1

Donna Nook: http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepat...z=19&oz=7&gt=1

As above, correctly pre-empted, the ones with the ribs on the roof are a 1938 design the flat roof may be a later design or something completely different.

Also one at TF 47846 90543, buried under scrub. Apologies my work computer doesn't allow me to copy the links! Theddlethorpe should ideally be on the Theddlethorpe thread.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

The MS are about a 1000 yards apart with Donna Nook's to the north.

The Theddlethorpe MS is the one for the 'B' Range and the other that you added is for the 'D' range.

Suggest that if tamiya is able to take and post pics that they are then split to the appropriate threads.

I have just been informed. One of my assistants at Binbrook is now a Controller at Donna. Small world.

Default Re: RAF Donna Nook, yet another quick trip.

I am making some scenery for MS flight simulator and I would like some pictures of the structures at the main site, i.e tower and any other buildings present. Can any one supply any more or has any info? I have so far found the pictures on here to be very useful anyway, but could always do with some more.

Thanks

Pete

Default Re: RAF Donna Nook - a bit of its history

A short description of Donna Nooks history

Brief History of RAF Donna Nook Air Weapons Range

Development of air to ground target facilities from 1926 onwards in support of No 1 Air
    Gunnery Training School at RAF North Coates. The airfield at Donna Nook became
    operational in 1936 as a relief landing ground for RAF North Coates. Plans were made by
    the Air Ministry in 1938 to develop Donna Nook as a 3 concrete runway bomber airfield
    but shelved due to lack of funding.

At the start of WWII RAF Donna Nook initially acted as a Decoy Site after the fall of
    France. (Sir) Winston Churchill visited it on 8 August 1940 during his tour of the coastal
    defences. Full development of the airfield took place in late 1940 as the satellite to RAF
    North Coates. Donna Nook had 2 grass runways of 1,500 yards, extensive buildings with
    1,435 personnel. Aircraft types included Blenheim, Beaufort, and Hudson from Coastal
    Command. Tragedy struck on 22 January 1942 when 5 Hudsons from 407 Sqn returned
    from a shipping strike. One crashed on landing hitting the Air Traffic Control Tower. All
    bombs on board exploded resulting in 16 personnel killed and many injured. As a result,
    the base was non-operational for a week.

When concrete runways were installed at RAF North Coates, all aircraft (2 squadrons of
    Beaufighter from 16 Group Strike Command) deployed to Donna Nook. In late 1944, the
    airfield became No 292 German POW Camp. Circa 3,000 POWs were held, mostly Poles
    and Ukrainians from Polish 1st and 2nd Divisions Germany Army captured in France.
    Many POWs remained after 1945 as displaced persons.

The Donna Nook airfield closed in 1945 and the camp in 1948. Site was destroyed in the great floods of 1953. Range targets continued. Targets re-sited to original Donna Nook in 1975 and now occupy the 1926 site full circle!
    From a document authored by the Ministry of Defence
    Lead author: Ministry of Defence - David Burr and David Bachelor relating to environmental management of the area

kevin

Default Re: RAF Donna Nook

Some photos of Donna Nook on the occasion of its (re)opening as a Range in November 1978

May13 307a.jpg

Disused observation tower (Caption says range originally opened in 1927 closed in 1945, reopened in the 80's)
    May13 302a.jpg

HQ/Admin building in 1978
    May13 303a.jpg

Jaguar giving it some on the official opening day
    May13 305a.jpg

Results of strafing run
    May13 306a.jpg

[Click on the images for a bigger picture]

via Grimsby Library Service

kevin

SuperMod

I seem to remember that the bungalow which became the HQ was previously named 'Ponderosa'.

A visit to Donna Nook - 12 June 2013 - I am fairly certain these structures on the range are the front radome from Nimrod AEW3 aircraft -

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread Information