Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Davidstow Moor

Default Re: RAF Davidstow Moor Airfield Buildings

I always thought that the grass would have been kept shorter and cut well on wartime bases, I suppose its growing up with peace time bases that were immaculate. Great pictures thanks.

Richard
    Last edited by Alex Brown; 21-12-2013 at 21:07.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: RAF Davidstow Moor

A great selection of pictures. Thanks for the link mitrovichchp but there are at least seven bomb trollies.
    Last edited by PETERTHEEATER; 19-06-2012 at 10:16. Reason: Amend text

The bombs look quite big for such small planes Peter??

Awesome find. Thanks for posting. Some great shots of Davidstow. I particularly like PL07704 with the hangars in the background.

It's good to see that the Canadians did some sight-seeing while they were here with a number of photos taken at Tintagel Castle (the legendary home of King Arthur!) or the beach and cliffs just below it. PL29824 to 8.

I also liked the two views of Crackington Haven, one showing the beach scaffolding, and the other showing the airmen entertaining the local kids with a dinghy. PL41050 and Pl41051.

That was definitely taken at Davidstow The hut is the turret repair workshop & although the hangar has been removed the base is still there.

[QUOTE=mitrovitchp;105104]While browsing the 404 Sqn website I came across an excellent selection of images, some of which were possbly taken at Davidstow or elsewhere in Cornwall. I am pretty certain that this one was taken at Davidstow, I've looked at google earth and the two hangars and huts look in the correct place.

http://www.404squadron.com/images/gallery/PL41047.jpg

Agree completely with previous posts-majority of photos are from Summer 1944 when 404 were at Davidstow. Several of the photos also appear in "Beaufighter at War" by Chaz Bowyer (published by Ian Allan Ltd 197. Interesting to see PL41045 which seems to show a Vickers Warwick with a lifeboat slung underneath.
    Last edited by John Anderson; 19-06-2012 at 20:59.

That is the only image I have seen of the two hangars on the North side of Davidstow and yesterday was the first time I have seen the photo. It may seem strange, but having walked around there many times during the last 40 years, often trying to imagine what Davidstow would have looked like with Hangars, that photo was instantly recognizable and somewhat familiar.

My current interest in 404 Sqn was sparked by the purchase of some 1/72 scale decals for a Beaufighter model. For any modellers reading this the decals include markings for three Beaufighters that were based at Davidstow between May and July 1944.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by John Anderson View Post
    Interesting to see PL41045 which seems to show a Vickers Warwick with a lifeboat slung underneath.
    Lifeboat equiped Warwick ASR.Is were stationed at Davidstow from December '43, with detatchments of 281 & 282 Sqns. The picture could have been taken elsewhere of course.

They are great pictures Peter, not just the content, but the quality is incredible. At frst glance I thought the watch tower pic was Davidstows example.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Drew View Post
    The bombs look quite big for such small planes Peter??
    Sorry, missed your query.

The small bombs are 250 pound GPs and the bigger bombs 500 pound MCs so within the capacity of the Blenheim in very small numbers.

Been having a closer look at some of those "Davidstow" pics and am not so sure they are Davidstow, or at least not as many as I'd first thought.
    For example, the control tower pic:

DSCF2445.jpgDSCF2446.jpg

Davidstow's window is too big and there's no sign of any fittings on the outside wall???

and PL07704 I'm not sure there were 2 hangars at that angle to each other at Davidstow???

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information