Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Davidstow Moor

Default Re: RAF Davidstow Moor

Just to let you all know.A friend and member of The Military Vehicle Trust has bought the officers mess and squash court at Davidstow.This has now been turned into a museum and is under going restoration on buildings,bunkers and the like.http://www.cornwallatwarmuseum.co.uk/

Happy New Year to you all. The Davidstow Airfield and Cornwall at War Museum has been open for a couple of years now. The official opening by the Commanding Officer RAF St Mawgan was in June 2008 and the Military Vehicle weekend was the last weekend in July as it will be again in 2009. The Museum is open to the public from Easter to the last half term of the year. All three services are covered. There is a dedicated RAF Davidstow Moor display which includes the station log, details of every squadron that was there and a collection of personal recollections. A research facility is in an infant stage. Outside exhibits include Fairey Gannet XG831, a tracked rapier launcher, Green Goddess fire engines, Hawker Hunter relics, wheel fuel cell, Picket Hamilton fort, Sangers and more. The site is under expansion - so, for those of you who have already visited, there will be more next time you come.
    The museum is privately owned and completely self funded and like a sponge will soak up any items that you care to donate.

Quote Originally Posted by Annek
    George Comstock, Luis Alvarez and the legendary Arthur C Clarke were there in September 1943.
    Just wondered re the source of this info, Annak, as this interview with Arthur C Clarke states he didn't meet Luis until after WWII?

I didn't meet Luis Alvarez until well after the war, in fact until I went to California in '53,

Graham
    Last edited by Carnaby; 21-07-2009 at 14:56.

Spent a few hours in TNA browsing all the Davidstow Moor ORBs, plus GCA reports and FIDO files in an attempt to discover the system used in 1943 at this airfield.

The installation / testing at various stations particularly Graveley and Lakenheath is very well documented - if there was anything at DM it would certainly be mentioned. The only mention of Davidstow in FIDO files is a memo dated 10 Aug 1943, in which it was suggested that the party going to inspect St Eval re a possible FIDO installation, should also have a look at Davidstow.

First mention of GCA coupled FIDO tests was at St Eval on 21 April 1944.

A comment April 1945 relates to the problems at St Eval as most of the fog there was sea fog and not radiation fog. The latter was what FIDO was designed to overcome and owing to the height of Davidstow radiation fog would be extremely rare.

A portable / temporary device was first contemplated in the spring of 1944, to be used in Europe as part of the Invasion. Work was undertaken at the Petroleum Warfare Department site at Staines, and a system was available later in the year. Even a temporary system took 2-3 weeks to install.

However there was a bit of kit known as a Mobile Fog Disperser. It was an RAF 8-ton articulated truck carrying a Merlin engine and prop. Behind this were three ICI petrol burners which consumed 2.5 tons per hour and had to be supplied from a separate self-propelled bowser. Was this the world's most powerful hair dryer? It was tested at an unknown airfield, and there are photos.

For the above reasons I have conclude that FIDO was never used at Davidstow, but am willing to accept evidence to the contrary. My feeling is that the 'temporary system' refers to relates to GCA, not FIDO.

Interestingly FIDO is very frequently documented as 'Fog Intensive Dispersal ORGANISATION' (a new one on me). There was also strong pressure to install it at Woodhall Spa and Leeming.

Of great interest however is the Contact Lighting on the main runway at Davidstow. The housings for a large number of the fitting are still extant and the group visit last week revealed that some of them are much closer than the statutory 50ft spacing. I thought of measuring them but was put off by the horizontal sleet of roughly 30mph and -X deg C! I felt my colleagues would revolt.

Contact Light fitting near drain on Main Runway

Threshold Contact Light fitting and transformer pit on Main Runway

Holding Point Light fittings near threshold

These held a pair of Drem MK.II T1 taxi-track lights.
    One was connected to the peri-track circuit, and the other was powered from the flarepath. Thus both were illuminated only at an active runway.

Graham
    Last edited by Carnaby; 21-07-2009 at 14:59. Reason: Restore photos

Spitfireman and EGDGZTCW went on a road trip today, ended up at Davidstow airfield to have a look around. Happened across the museum and met Steve and Sheila for the first time. Although they were closed and working hard to prepare for their opening at Easter, they were more than happy to chat and show us around. What an excellent set up, with so much to see. Steve, Shiela and all their volunteers have done an outstanding job here.

A big "thank you" to you both for spending the time with us and showing us around your collection, especially as you were closed!!

I highly recommend anyone visiting North Cornwall's aviation heritage to visit Davidstow and BOTH of it's museums.

taken 1980 - runway still ok

andrew
    Last edited by Alex Brown; 21-12-2013 at 17:48.

tie downs still in evidence - 1980

andrew
    Last edited by Alex Brown; 21-12-2013 at 17:56.

I remember seeing photos of RN Sea Kings / Wessex and RM Gazelles at Davidstow, supposedly taken in 1982 at or just before before the time of the Falklands conflict. Has anyone else seen them or know where they can be found?

Quote Originally Posted by mitrovitchp
    I remember seeing photos of RN Sea Kings / Wessex and RM Gazelles at Davidstow, supposedly taken in 1982 at or just before before the time of the Falklands conflict. Has anyone else seen them or know where they can be found?
    Steve and Sheila have photo's of them and the carrier just off the N Cornwall coast. Steve told me that Davidstow was used to rehearse the taking of the Falklands. I didn't know that.

My poor comparison photographs of the Control Tower taken in 1987.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information